no eggs for 5 days

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by irol04915, Sep 17, 2012.

1. irol04915

irol04915 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    i have a small flock of chicks that are not laying yet, and recently added 4 light brahams hens that i got from a woman who was downsizing she said they were apx 15months old and lay eggs every 30 hours......i got eggs the day after i brought them home one egg was soft shell and the other 6 eggs i got were good.....the last 3 eggs i found were in the nesting boxes even....but now it has been 5 days no eggs from them......i dont know why??.....i was feeding all my chicken started feed but changed over to a mix of layer pellets and starter for 3days then i changed to just layer pellets...... my other chickens are almost 5months old and i was told they would be ok with the laying feed now.....i added a oyster shell supplement dish they can have as wanted........i do tend to feed my chickens alot of scraps from my kitchen.....any ideas as to why these hens would stop laying......i have a feeling its because of the feed but im not sure....thanks

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

At 15 months old they will be affected by daylight. The days are getting shorter, and so the eggs will be fewer. It takes 14-16 hours of sunlight to create an egg.

Tell this to my RSL Penny though. She lays every single day before it is even fully light out. So every 24 hours, and she is going on 2 and a half.

This is also a good thread on why your chickens might not be laying.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They are probably starting to molt. They don't lay eggs while they are molting.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Sometimes they do. I have had one in a horrible molt that only took 7 days off when her feathers were shedding, but started up again when she was nearly naked. Again this is the hen I mentioned above. She is a freak of nature lol.

5. irol04915

Aug 24, 2012
    it has now been 9 more days so that makes 14 days total.....and my 4 hens have still not layed any eggs but i believe they are molting, they have been staying to themselves and the run is full of feathers and they dont go near the nesting boxes, that is untill today i saw one of the hens in the nesting box........i can also see new feather growth starting on some of the bare spots.........fingers crossed iget an egg in the next few days.....lol

6. irol04915

Aug 24, 2012
    i found an egg!!!!!! woot woot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by