No Eggs for 5 days

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BSFocht, Feb 4, 2014.

1. BSFocht

BSFocht New Egg

Feb 4, 2014
    We are new to chickens. I have a flock of 13. 8 of these are pullets that are not laying yet. I have 2 Buff Orpington hens and 2 Barred Rock hens. The Buffs I think have only laid one egg in the 2 weeks we have had them. The Barred hens have laid eggs about 1 a day between them for the same amount of time. We have moved them recently to a new coop but we have NO eggs for 5 days now. If it is stress from the move, when should they start laying again?

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Hi,

Welcome to BYC! How old are they? Are they molting?

HS Pye

3. Crysta

Crysta Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    Florida
    I've read that stress can affect their laying habits, but they might be laying somewhere besides the nesting boxes of their new coop. Are they free range? Check under bushes, shrubs, somewhere dark, etc.

Has the weather been cold there? Colder weather and the shorter daylight hours of winter can also slow/stop egg production.

4. BSFocht

BSFocht New Egg

Feb 4, 2014
    We were told the Buffs are a year old. I do not know how old the Barred Rocks are. We did have a cold snap but we are in Florida so it didn't last long. :)

5. BSFocht

BSFocht New Egg

Feb 4, 2014
    Oh... and they are free range within a fenced in area. The pullets fly over and go free range but my hens stay within the fence lines.

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    How can that be? I suspect that you need to hold your very own Easter egg hunt only in February. Chickens hide eggs better than any parent with an Easter basket ever could.

1 person likes this.
  7. BSFocht

BSFocht New Egg

Feb 4, 2014
    I know it sounds confusing but they are closed into an area with hog fencing which is smaller openings towards the bottom but bigger towards the top. The pullets are small enough that they can jump up to the middle and go through the holes, the hens are happy enough where they are so they just stay in the fenced off area. We will keep looking. I am sure they are not laying right now, I just don't know why they have stopped and how long I should wait before being concerned.

8. HS Pye

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Recently started laying birds will not stop laying even if it is winter time. I doubt stress would be a problem since most chickens will adapt quickly. I agree with chickengeorgeto, they are most likely hiding their nests and you may have to hunt for them. We had this happen many times. Once you keep finding their nests, they will finally give up and lay in the nesting boxes.

HS Pye

9. Crysta

Crysta Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    Florida
    I would check if your hens are laying or not by to feeling their hip bones. It's easy! About an inch(ish) beneath the vent there are two bones the stick out if you can fit 3 fingers in between them they are laying or expected to lay soon. If you can't fit 3 fingers in between, they aren't laying. They say that a non-laying hen's hip bones will move closer when they are not laying eggs.

This is a definite way to tell if they are laying, so you don't have to go on the hunt for missing eggs unless you can fit 3 fingers between the hip bones.

10. HS Pye

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Note, you need to be careful when doing this. If you are too rough you may crack an egg inside of them and then you're in for some health issues.

HS Pye

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by