No eggs for a month

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CorysCoop, Jan 25, 2015.

1. CorysCoop

CorysCoop New Egg

Feb 18, 2014
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Hello,
    I have a flock of 7 layers who this past summer and fall were giving me 6-7 eggs per day. Three of my hens are ameracaunas and a couple days after christmas was the last time I saw a blue egg. They were my strongest layers then suddenly quit cold turkey. This being my first year raising hens, I thought it was just part of the winter slow-down. Once I hit the two and a half week mark, I began to worry a little. My other hens (RIR,BR) have gotten on an every other day egg cycle this winter but still nothing from the Ameracaunas. They are all just under 1 yr old so age isn't an issue. I've discovered that from what I can tell the ameracaunas are not having any solid poops. Their combs seem to be pale as well. This made me think possibly worms? parasite? Ive collected and checked droppings for worms but have seen none (but I know they may not be visible to the eye). The thing that makes me second guess the worms is their temperament. They run around foraging all day, there is no weight loss, still very energetic birds. I've begun adding apple cider vinegar and crushed garlic to the water supply. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this may be? and if it is worms, are there any preferred treatments? I've been researching different types but being new to this would like to see what experience can tell me before making a decision

Thanks for reading

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    It's not unusual for hens to take a break in winter. Ameracaunas aren't the most reliable layers in winter either. They should restart in a month or so. My RIR's all out lay the rest of my flock in winter. My others are ameracaunas, amberlinks and BO's.

3. Shakenhead

Shakenhead New Egg

Mar 6, 2012
    My chicken have done the same, stopped laying completely. They are almost 3 yrs old now and this is the first time. So I evaluated their feed and bought a higher quality feed and added 5 way scratch in the afternoons. They started laying again getting about 3 to 6 eggs a day again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by