No eggs for a week

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tdgill, Sep 14, 2010.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been concerned about the lack of eggs (about a week now) from one particular hen, my marans splash. She is behaving normally, seems fine. I have searched and searched for a hidy spot, she's not molting, she's not sitting. Plenty of oyster shell and eggs shells offered. No evidence of eaten eggs. Considered an egg nappin dog, but not sold on this theory yet. It seems to be only her eggs missing. The other three hens are laying almost daily. Would it be possible that a change in flock dynamics would cause her to not lay? The only thing I can think of is my second in command roo is totally smitten with her and would love a chance to have a "date" He is recently ranging with the flock again along with the three month old's as well. I have him separated today to see if she will feel secure enough to go lay. Anything I might be missing? Oh and she might be eating more of the chick starter medicated feed now that the 3 month olds are out of their temporary run and she has access to their feed.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's possible that it's the flock dynamics but I doubt the feed, etc. are causing it. You did not mention her age. Is it possible she is moulting and you aren't aware? Mostly all I see is an increase in the feathers lying around. I can't tell it to look at the chickens unless I really look closely' I've never seen a really hard molt, where they look motheaten. The shorter days might have her taking a rest, too. I assume you've looked her over for any sign of a stuck egg, prolapse, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2010
  3. tdgill

thanks DDAWN. She's 19 months old. I will be checking her over more thoroughly.

4. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    19 months is just the age for her to stop laying and moult, then pick up again, but not as many eggs.

5. tdgill

funny, today there is a multitude of white feathers floating around...and OFF of her. LOL. Thanks for the info Ddawn :)

ETA: thankgoodness for my little laying machine ducks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  6. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Ah, great. I have feathers everywhere, too -- and today I had about 7 eggs out of 16 hens. One is broody -- but I'll bet half of them are molting.

I envy you; I've never even eaten a duck egg.

7. tdgill

I've eaten only a couple scrambled so far but have enjoyed them immensely for baking! They are such pretty eggs. And if you don't yet own ducks consider adding some to your flock. They are a hoot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by