No Eggs for MONTHS!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cheeps, Nov 25, 2009.

1. cheeps

cheeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    I have a small flock of varying breeds (see my sig below...). Well, egg laying started slowing down in September. My hubby and I got married Sept. 19th, and went on a week long honeymoon, during which our friends dog, cat, and chicken-sat for us. When we got home, they said they didn't get one egg all week. Now it's almost December and I've been eggless since then! What did I do?

I thought at first it was molting. My RIR and my BO were definatly molting there for a while. But they've had all their feathers for about a month. And they were great layers, at least one egg per day. Same deal with my Wyandotte/EE crosses. My WL's will be a year old in January, so I don't think they would be molting yet? They eat good laying mash, I don't give a lot of treats anymore. Oh, and I even tried putting ping pong balls in the laying boxes!

Did they just not want their mommy and daddy to get married? LOL

I just had to buy two dozen eggs for deviled eggs tomorrow! I shouldn't have to buy eggs!!! [​IMG]

2. newdock

newdock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    British Columbia
    I am having the same problem. We dealt with a predator attack in early October and nada since then. They have artificial lighting to simulate a longer day, good digs, food, oyster shell, regular fresh water...living the good life! And I'm buying eggs!! BAH!

3. cheeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    I KNOW!!!! Freeloaders! Hopefully someone will have some magical advice for us?

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I do not know what could be wrong except molting. Sometimes hens can molt in places you can see so maybe they still are. How healthy do they look? Have you had any deaths lately? My hens were not laying because of a unknown deadly disease that almost killed all my hens. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=248013&p=1 But I think the main problem is your husband. Get rid of him now!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] I hope your hens start to lay again.

5. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Do they free range or have sparrows and the like in their cage? Have you wormed this year? Perhaps they are through with the molt and are dealing with some sort of parasites stealing nutrients from them? These things can be hard to spot. Just a thought.

6. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Chickens generally won't lay if there is less than 14 hours a day of sunlight. Some breeds are more likely to quit over winter months than other breeds. My EEs, for example, won't lay between October and March....period! My BRs, on the other hand, will lay a reduced number of eggs throughout the winter except the weeks they are molting.

7. cheeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    LOL @ Maxx! Those darn husbands!

Ooh, let me add another thought to the mix. I have these four wonderfully spoiled Giant Cochins, one of which is a fat fluffy beautiful rooster, they hatched in april. Here's his pic for the heck of it...I just love this guy!

[​IMG]

Anyhoo, this guy is sleeping in my nesting boxes, and judging by the amount of poo in my nesting boxes his sisters are sleeping in them too, although I've only caught him red...footed. Could this be part of my problem? There's lots of poo. I clean it out every day, but maybe this is why they won't lay?

8. cheeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    Hmm...I have not dewormed this year. What do ya'll recommend as a dewormer?

These girls laid all last winter. Would that change from year to year? I got TONS of eggs all last winter, rain sleet or snow!

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wormer?

I order this one online from Jeffers?

Albendazole (brand name Valbazen).
    You give 1/2 cc orally, undiluted, per standard bird. Bantams get 1/4 cc

10. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    Do they free-range? I have a couple that lay somewhere, I just don't know where. I know this because one was laying in the front of our house in some overgrown vines. My husband decided I was not going to weed this year and took care of them... the hen moved on but where? When I get the time I'll be putting chicken wire around the acre of horse fence that encloses our backyard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by