No eggs for over 2 months

LisaC63

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2020
Hi everyone 😊 I'm brand new to BYC. I've been raising chickens for about 5 years now. I have 18 hens that have been actively laying up until 2 months ago. I haven't had any eggs since. Just wondering what the issue may be. They're done molting, I've treated them for mites ( just in case) and made sure they've been eating really well. I'm stumped.

What breeds? The daylight hours are so short that many birds (unless they’re first year layers) take a break at this point. We have noticed a steady decrease and only have a silkie laying regularly at this point.

If they are healthy (and no one is an egg eater) there is only two things to do: let them be and they will start laying when the days get longer OR supplement some light to start the laying again. I don’t do the latter as I like to give them a break, but it’s not uncommon for people to do this to get them laying right out of molt.

What breeds? The daylight hours are so short that many birds (unless they’re first year layers) take a break at this point. We have noticed a steady decrease and only have a silkie laying regularly at this point.

If they are healthy (and no one is an egg eater) there is only two things to do: let them be and they will start laying when the days get longer OR supplement some light to start the laying again. I don’t do the latter as I like to give them a break, but it’s not uncommon for people to do this to get them laying right out of molt.
I would have thought that too except OP said none at all in 2 months.. I mean that's weird isn't it? Ours are still laying and I'm up north. I almost wonder if they're free range if they didn't find a place to lay, you hear of that happening fairly often. I guess they could have all just stopped though..

Hmm.... You chickens may stop laying since the days are shorter and they are more focused on surviving the cold winter (depending on your area). By winter a few of my chickens have stopped laying.

I do agree with everyone else, that is odd.

I would have thought that too except OP said none at all in 2 months.. I mean that's weird isn't it? Ours are still laying and I'm up north. I almost wonder if they're free range if they didn't find a place to lay, you hear of that happening fairly often. I guess they could have all just stopped though..

We have 10 hens that are between 1.5-2.5 years old and only two have been laying this past month with only the silkie consistently. They're mainly Cochins (with two cochin brown layer crosses that are normally super productive). The crosses molted quite quickly and then laid again for a bit before stopping as the weather cooled and days got shorter. Our new girls haven't started yet, but they probably will after the Solstice as their combs are reddening and they're filing out nicely (Marans, Ameraucanas, and Faverolles). I've noticed that up here in Nova Scotia the heritage birds often break from mid fall to the start of winter but they will pick up again come the beginning of January. Ours aren't free ranging now so I know we aren't missing eggs.

If the OP has young hybrid laying hens (or breeds known to be excellent producers), I would expect that they would still be productive. It is a little odd that there is not a single egg, but if it's a smaller flock then that would be more normal.

Thanks for all the helpful info. I live in Florida and they do free range from dawn to dusk. I have checked EVERWHERE to make sure there aren't any hidden laying spots. I found 1 egg in one of our stalls yesterday but I think it was from one of our young ones that should be starting to lay soon, around 5-6 months old. I have Rhode Island Reds and Americanas. They're 1.5 to 2 years old. I do have some other cross/hybrid breeds too. I feed layer pellets, scratch and some fresh veggies at least once a week. They also get some dry meal worms from time to time.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I treated them with diatomaceous earth. I sprinkle a little bit on them when they're put up for the night.
DE won't kill ice or mites, and can be a respiratory irritant.
Best to get some permethrin dust or spray, for IF you need it.

Check them over real well regularly for mites and/or lice.
Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Hi everyone 😊 I'm brand new to BYC. I've been raising chickens for about 5 years now. I have 18 hens that have been actively laying up until 2 months ago. I haven't had any eggs since. Just wondering what the issue may be. They're done molting, I've treated them for mites ( just in case) and made sure they've been eating really well. I'm stumped.
I live just north of you with moderate winters. I only have two 2 1/2 yo hens (different breeds). The Australorp went 4 months without laying with her first molt, but we moved after she had been molting for a month and the Andalusian started molting as soon as we moved. She didn't lay for 3 months. They're free range, on an excellent feed and are fat, healthy & spoiled. Both are almost, not quite, fully feathered again from their 2nd molt and I haven't seen an egg in 3 months. They stay close to their coop area and have no hiding places. They prefer and share their laying nest in their coop. Since they're born with a certain number of eggs in them, and they won't make more, I'm not going to try anything to rush laying, in hopes that the rests will give them longer lives.

welcome2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom