No Eggs for Over 4 Months

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aghiowa, Dec 16, 2011.

1. aghiowa

aghiowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Hi all. I have a light brahma hen (about 2 years) who has slowly petered out with egg laying since about July. It has been about 2 months since we've seen a single egg from her. She is not molting, broody, or sick-appearing. All my other hens are laying just fine. What are the chances she will start laying again, or is she one of those non-layers I read about? I am only allowed 6 hens, and to have one not laying is frustrating and kind of useless to me.

Ideas? Should I be patient? Should I cull? Rrrgh!

Thanks,
    Angela

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Every flock keeper must make these decisions for themselves. No one can tell you what to do. I can only tell you I don't feed expensive feed to hens that have taken 5 months off. Unless she was some kind of spectacular specimen, heading to the breeding pool in spring, (and even then?) I cull.

That information does you absolutely nothing, I know, but hey, you asked. [​IMG]

3. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    maybe she isnt laying due to the shorter day light now....maybe she will start back up in the spring....you could try and
    rehome her, instead of culling her....some people just like pets!

4. Fred's Hens

Quote:Cull simply means to remove from flock. Just sayin'. What happens after the cull can mean sell, gift, or a stew pot with dumplings.

5. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    well....thank you fred....i stand corrected!!!...i looked it, up but misunderstood it for killing!......[​IMG]

6. Fred's Hens

Quote:No problem. I cull and 99% of the time, I gift. Now, .... what they do is up to them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by