1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No eggs from a 1 year old easter egger or younger

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BarrettG, Jan 25, 2017.

1. BarrettG

BarrettG Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida
    I gave my friend an easter egger for his daughters bday. About a few months ago maybe 6 they said she started laying. Fot the last 2 months the hen has stopped. They gave the hen and the other one they had prior back to me. The other hen lays these great big eggs but still nothing from the easter egger.

I live in South Florida so its not cold. They gave the birds layer feed but I'm not sure at what age. They don't look sick. What else do you think it could be and what should i do? Please help me

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    The one EE I had in my FL flock stopped laying for 4 months during the winter months. Even though you don't get the cold of northern states, you do have shorter daylight hours.

As the days start getting longer, she should start to lay again.

3. BarrettG

BarrettG Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida
    I hope so. She is healthy. She's running the yard

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    EE's can be sporadic layers...depending on age she may be on 'winter break' after fall molt.
    It's not the cold it's the length of daylight that affects laying...as well as a good balanced diet.
    If she's 'running the yard' she may be laying out in the range area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by