No Eggs from my 1.5 year old Brahma

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kholdner, Jan 29, 2013.

1. kholdner

kholdner New Egg

Jan 29, 2013
    Hi everyone. I'm new here and new to chickens so forgive my ignorance. I've researched the site and can't really find a specific answer to my issue so here goes...any advice is much appreciated:
    We got Fluffy our 1.5 year old light Brahma in early December. Her previous owner said she wasn't laying b/c it was winter so I wasn't expecting eggs (she's so pretty I don't mind!) but after doing more research, it seems that she should be laying (even 1 or 2 a week) despite the shorter days. We have since added 2 pullets to the flock (an Americauna and a Sussex) but they were hatched at the end of September so no eggs from them yet.

I'm wondering what's up with the Brahma. They have access to their coop, nesting box, feed, and water all day and usually have a few hours in the afternoon to free range in the yard. She seems happy and healthy. I give them scratch and some mealworms as treats and added protein each afternoon. I've looked in, around and under every bush and haven't found a hidden nest. Maybe once the little girls start laying in the spring, she'll start again too? Any ideas?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Nah, the former owner was right - they don't always lay in the winter. Their hormones are triggered by light, so it's normal that she's not laying, especially being older. My older birds aren't laying either now that it's winter. Only the girls from this spring have kept laying through the winter, and that DID include my light brahma, but she's not laying now either - because she's broody! Silly bird.

Also, :welcome!

3. kholdner

kholdner New Egg

Jan 29, 2013
    No joke. I just went out to check the nesting box and there it was...our first egg from Fluffy! I guess we just needed to give her a little time to get used to her new home! It's a beautiful, perfect big brown egg (my first as a chicken owner)...so exciting!!

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Congrats! It'll taste much better than eggs you get at the store, so enjoy! Yep, they do stop laying when they're settling in to a new home, so I guess that's what happened!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by