No eggs, Heat? alabama 100F

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by inc123, Jul 27, 2010.

1. inc123

inc123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2009
    My girls have stopped laying. No eggs for two weeks. I see no sign of illness or distress other than weather. We have had 100F days or close to it for days. They do have plenty of water & shade & seem to be eating just fine. No signs of molting. The older 4 girls are apprx 1+ year old.

I did bring home two little bantams about a month ago but I don't think this is the issue. I live in an urban area/downtown so I doubt it is snakes though I have seen small ones here before. I do have a number of chipmunks and I have wondered about them.

But I have not heard the girls laying either, so I think they aren't laying.

In addition to fresh grass & layer pellets they get treats such as salmon, seeds, beans, watermelon, tomatoes, and leftovers.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. JimWWhite

JimWWhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Make sure they have plenty of water and try to keep them cool with shade. Shade is important. I even rigged up a mister with my water hose and turn it on for an hour or so when it's the hottest part of the afternoon. I also dampen the sand in my run to cool things off. All this seems to work because even wth these high 90's we've been getting here in Central NC our 30 Gold Comets have been laying consistantly 25-27 eggs every day, even on the hottest days.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  3. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Roll Tide!

We've been reaching 100 here in South Carolina, too. We keep our chickens in the shade. Plus, we freeze plastic water bottles (the small ones) then put them in with the chickens. It took a couple of days, but now they 'cuddle' next to them and perch on them. (I read this idea in one of the forums; there are other good suggestions, too.) Anything helps.

Good luck!

4. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    I want summer overrrrrrr.It has been one of the hottest i can remember.Come on fall [​IMG]

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    We've gone from a dozen eggs a day to only three or four. It has to be the heat!

6. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Roll Tide. Where in bama? I am a alabama girl myself and have 9 layers of different ages. Mine have slowed down but are laying. Do not give fruit, cracked corn or raw beans. My girls lay best when I give them raw oats. I give them some yogurt with peanut butter in the afternoon when it is hot. I cools them and gives them extra protein.

7. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Roll Tide!!!!

It has been extremely hot in Florida too!!!! I use frozen water bottles also..

8. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Hot weather is the culprit. When the hens pant in the heat, they drive off carbon dioxide in their lungs which drops the CO2 content of their blood. The change in blood chemistry reduces their ability to form calcium carbonate for their egg shells. Some birds seem to be more affected than others and it seems to affect older hens more than younger ones.

9. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    OK yes it is hot hear in AL but I got 17 eggs yesterday. lots of water and free range with a good supply of food in their feeders. They stay in the shade and not so much running around but they don't let me down.

10. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Quote:I know about the cracked corn and raw beans, but why can't they get fruit?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by