No eggs. Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mbloss89, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Mbloss89

Mbloss89 Hatching

Apr 30, 2012
    Hello I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong... My 11 month old Red-sex links are not laying. They have indoor outdoor access all the time, they free range for a few hours in the morning/afternoon, we give them organic layer feed every night (and of course fresh water). Their indoor part has little stalls in it, but I see poop in there, so I guess they only use them to sleep in?
    I've had them for about 4 weeks now with only a few eggs. They did just finish molting, so maybe they will start producing soon? We like having them around because they are pets basically, but they need to start pulling their weight. [​IMG]

Any advice?

Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deb, Suz, Roni, Susan Sarandon, Chocolate Thunder, and Dave Martin. (all hens)

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I'm wondering if you're sure of their age. The reason is, usually chickens don't molt until their second fall, which would make your hens older than 11 months, if they've just finished molting. Molting does stop or lessen egg laying though, so it will take a while for them to get back into the laying groove.

Also, sometimes, when they free range, they might lay their eggs in a secret spot outdoors......If you would lock them up until 5pm for a few weeks, you might see an increase in eggs as well.

Sharon

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How much are you feeding them? They look rather thin. I leave feed out for my chickens at all times. They can choose to eat when they are hungry.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  4. EdwinaHeadHen

EdwinaHeadHen Hatching

Jun 4, 2012
    Lynchburg, VA
    I'm pretty new to chickens, but the first thing I noticed is how thin they are ... FWIW.

5. Mbloss89

Mbloss89 Hatching

Apr 30, 2012
    The pictures are from when we first got them... they look better now because they are no longer molting. I'll post newer pics. I'm not sure of the age to be honest because we got them from a guy off of craigslist.

6. Mbloss89

Mbloss89 Hatching

Apr 30, 2012
    We feed them table scraps and garden scraps most days, and then a good scooping of feed at night, but I'll start just leaving feed out for them all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: