No eggs hen?

What a beautiful hen, please give her a chance. I don't think if you start higher protein feed she will instantly lay eggs. But, it would be good to start the higher protein feed now to build her up for laying.

they both look like they should be laying--nice red plump combs, healthy looking birds.

Have you tried confining them for a day or so and see if you get eggs? They're very creative about finding places to hide nests.

The barred one is a mix, no feathered legs = not cuckoo marans. But both are definitely female. How old? Some chickens can take 10 months to lay, it depends on the individual. And the short winter days turn off laying as well. Don't give up yet.

The barred one is a mix, no feathered legs = not cuckoo marans. But both are definitely female. How old? Some chickens can take 10 months to lay, it depends on the individual. And the short winter days turn off laying as well. Don't give up yet.

Just saying, it's much harder to find a feathered legged cuckoo Marans in the US than a clean legged bird. Lots of hatcheries have clean leg cuckoos. From the white skin, messy barring pattern and body shape I think she's a hatchery cuckoo Marans.

Just saying, it's much harder to find a feathered legged cuckoo Marans in the US than a clean legged bird. Lots of hatcheries have clean leg cuckoos. From the white skin, messy barring pattern and body shape I think she's a hatchery cuckoo Marans.

True. The SOP for Marans lists the absence of feathers on the shanks as a disqualification for the breed, so it wouldn't be a real Marans. If you aren't showing or breeding it doesn't really matter though. Thanks for the clarification!

Seems to be a hen, friendly, feathers etc but large waddles and no eggs.
What is she/he?
Gold laced Wyandotte

What breed, sex?
No eggs from he/she? Either
Cuckoo Marans! both pretty girls! and both will lay! let them settle in and they should start giving you eggs!
smile.png

Not much chance for rats or snakes. The nest boxes are in the back of coop also making it unlikely the many Hawks in our neighborhood are getting in there.
Just maybe not enough protein, I will see what's available at my feed store with more protein. Also going to add supplemental early am light to lengthen day.

Not much chance for rats or snakes. The nest boxes are in the back of coop also making it unlikely the many Hawks in our neighborhood are getting in there.
Just maybe not enough protein, I will see what's available at my feed store with more protein. Also going to add supplemental early am light to lengthen day.
There is little point in adding lighting right now. The days are already naturally lengthening.

Back
Top Bottom