1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No Eggs in 1 1/2 months.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MorePower7701, Nov 16, 2010.

1. MorePower7701

MorePower7701 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    I have five RIR hens, four are young, but one is over a year old and very healthy. The older hen is the first I got, she was laying eggs at the place I got her from, but not a single one for me. The coop has a large window that allows the sun to shine through out the day, and a light that is on for 3 more hrs at dusk. They have clean straw, a warm coop, great food, they are in a quite area, have pleanty of light, plenty of clean water, everything to the best of knowledge they need. Is there something I'm missing? [​IMG]

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    It could be that she's molting and with the move it may take a while. I haven't had any eggs since the end of September.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    How young is young? The young ones might not be old enough to lay yet. The older hen might be going through a molt.

4. chicken_newbie

chicken_newbie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    lockport
    have Patience my 5 RIR laid their last egg on 9/26/2010 and are just starting back up last Friday:ya:D[​IMG]
    i found a lot of feathers from molting the first 2-3 weeks
    plus after talking to people and watching the forum that the shorter days and cold weather are a factor
    they will start to come around I'm feeding them 16% crumble and 20% layer (2 separate feeders)
    plus a handful or 2 of sunflower seeds and scratch in the AM
    also I turn the light timer on early morning and shut it off during daylight hours so they get the natural progression of night to
    fall asleep with. The timer shutting off at night was stressing them

5. MorePower7701

Sep 26, 2010
    I'm not sure how old the young ones are, I know in the 1 1/2 I have had them they seem to be twice the size they were, they now have much larger red combs. The younger ones are moving straw around in the nesting boxes, and setting, but not a single egg.

I think the older one must be molting. How long does the molting last?

6. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I have a similar issue with a year and half old black star... she was laying for her previous owners, but I think I only saw one or two eggs when I first got her probably 3 months ago. She did take most of that time growing back her feathers from either molt or from the roosters on her back... only just got a full back mid october.... Still waiting for her to start laying again.... she is fun to have around either way... very vocal.

7. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Sounds like the older one is molting. The younger ones will get there. They just need their time. They weren't laying before right? If not they will lay no matter the weather and cold I believe. Well I guess the best of luck. Takes patience ours didn't start laying till 25 weeks. The longest ones I have had to start laying.

8. MorePower7701

Sep 26, 2010
    Well......... it's been 3 months and 1 week now and still nothing. There is not any feathers in the coop, and all of the hens look to be in perfect health. They are getting four extra hours of light each day, from lights installed in the coop. They run around like it's daytime in dead of night, not a clue is night outside. I see local farms selling fresh eggs, but I can't get a single egg in almost four months. Again, is there any advise that might help my hens lay an egg? [​IMG]

9. dani63

dani63 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Hi, I have 2 older RIR and 3 Comets that were new this year and a couple of bantams. All were laying until the weather changed. I am in N. Michigan. I am assuming it is the shorter days as all look healthy.

10. gamamachik

gamamachik Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    South GA
    Have you tried giving them some extra protein...as a treat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by