No eggs in 3 weeks!

Chickideee

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2017
Bulloch County Georgia
Hi y'all. I have had a few Brahmas for 18 months. One rooster and 2 hens. I was free-rangeing until 3 weeks ago when they were attacked by 2 neiborhood dogs. They took one hen and my rooster. Leaving poor Ellimay all alone. I quickly fenced in 50 sq feet of covered run around the coop to protect her. My rooster came home the next day missing all his tailfeathers and most feathers on his side and back. He is just starting to get his feathers back now and doing well. But Ellimay hasn't layed an egg since! She gave me an egg daily till this happened. Is this normal? Will she lay again? Other than no eggs she seems perfectly fine.

X2 what Sourland said about stress. I had a bird that was killed last summer by what we believe was a coyote. We didn't get eggs for a while from the others, then when I did they didn't have shells, & the yolk of one was clear. It took a little while for them to recover, but then they were fine and laid normal eggs.

My DH wanted to get a few more pullits now so they would be laying by spring. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't let them destress this winter and wait til spring.

The addition of birds to a flock is another stressor. I would suggest adding them now so that all systems will be go in the spring.

Hi and welcome to BYC. Sourland has given some great feedback, as ever :)

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 (there's a guide on how to include your location under your avatar - including your location is very helpful). You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Molt is when chickens lose their feathers and grow new ones. Most birds go through at least one molt a year. In the fall, they are getting a nice warm coat for winter. It is stressful on a chicken to molt and therefore they will not lay eggs during that time. A molt can last from a few weeks to a few months. She needs a higher protein feed at this time. Feathers are made out of protein so she needs to consume more. And chickens need at least 14 hours of daylight to lay eggs. I would keep her on a higher protein feed and give her a break from laying, I'm sure she is stressed.

Back
Top Bottom