No eggs in 3 weeks!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gumjump, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Gumjump

Gumjump Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    About 3 weeks ago a dog got 2 of my 3 hens. They were 6 months old New Hampshire Reds. We replaced the two with young pullets and were told they were about 4 months. But I'm not so sure about that. My hen hasn't layed an egg since the attack. She and the duck have bonded though. She is ok with the young chickens but they are scared of here. She doesn't peck at them anymore but sometime chases them or runs towards them. And they scramble away from her. They all sleep in the roost ok though.
    I live in Southern Maine so I wasn't sure if the shorter days had something to do with it. Or do you think she is still stressed out. Is it too soon to put a light in the hen house or should I wait awhile? I think the other chickens are too young to lay. I have put back the fake eggs in the nest hoping this would intice her. We feed her laying pellets and she is free range. She gets snacks of Kale, tomatoes, mealbugs. [​IMG]

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi,

It seems to be pretty normal for a hen to stop laying for a while after an attack. It must be a big shock for them. Keep things peaceful for a while, and you should see her start to recover :) If she's eating and running round and looking healthy, there shouldn't be anything else wrong with her.

I've found another thread here about a dog attack - seems the general consensus is that the hens will begin laying again. Good luck!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/759106/hens-stopped-laying-after-dog-got-in-coop-now-what

3. Gumjump

Aug 17, 2013
    WellI I feel a lot better. Hopefully she will start giving us some eggs soon.

4. 12chickens

12chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    Minnesota
    my chickens got attacked one year by a dog and it was as if someone turned on a light they all stopped laying at once and didn't' start again until the weather warmed up. just don't give up on them. I have had those same chickens for 7 years and they are still laying eggs. just remember to feed them at the same time every day make sure they have fresh I have heard some people say they give there chickens warm water in the winter time. make sure if they are in a building you turn on a light either day or night and turn it off so they can rest light makes them want to lay.

5. Gumjump

Aug 17, 2013
    [​IMG]

Still no eggs. It's not a great picture but I think you can tell the color of her comb. Do you think it's red enough so she should be laying eggs? She used to squat when I got next to her but she doesn't do that now.

6. Gumjump

Aug 17, 2013
    I just wormed her 3 days ago. I thought maybe that could be the reason for no eggs. If by chance it was, how long after worming would the usually start laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by