no eggs in at least a couple months

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by seahuntmike, Sep 28, 2016.

1. seahuntmike

seahuntmike Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    Where do i start. Had a small coop with 3 hens (what i believe are red and black sex links). Laying eggs though not every day but enough to keep us satisfied. Decide to build a bigger coop (approximately 8x12) ans buy 3 buff orpingtons and 2 barred rocks, giving me 8.chicks were born middle to late march. Moved in with no problems and a couple of months later a barred rock and the only black sex link died. Have no idea why but i havent got any eggs since they moved in.

Sorry forgot, they moved into the new coop beginning of the summer approximately.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    A bit more information is needed. Are they confined to a run? What have you been feeding them? Did the two that died, die in the same manner? Did it appear that they were sick? How did you integrate the new ones and is everyone getting along well now?

3. seahuntmike

Dec 23, 2014
    Sorry, yes they are confined to a run (8x12)
    Feeding them layena
    one that died looked fine in the evening but the next morning i found her dead, no apparent signs of trauma
    the other broke a leg and perished shortly after
    everyone is getting along fine with the exception of a skirmish over food, which is over as soon as it starts.;

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    About half my chickens just die one day like that, I suspect they have heart attacks.

Your older birds will quit laying to molt, most of my birds have already quit, and often sex links quit laying permanently at around age 2-3.

Your younger ones are around 6 months old and should start laying soon. Sometimes it helps to feed a ration with a higher protein than most layer ration, which generally are 16%. I like to feed something with 18-20% protein, either an all flock or a non medicated grower. I feed oyster shells free choice for the extra calcium needs.

5. seahuntmike

Dec 23, 2014
    Thanks for the info. I do have oyster shells available whenever they want. I didn't realize that most sex links can stop laying so soon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by