No Eggs Large hen crowing HELP needed!!!!!

Liampwrr

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
Lowestoft, England
Hi im new to this and have had my hens for 14 weeks. My large hen looks like she would be ready to lay but everyday i make the trip to the end of the garden only to be dissapointed! She has recently started crowing which has made me rethink her sex but doing a bit of research tells me this is possible? I brought the chickens from a farm and they told me they were French morans but im not really clued up on breeds. I will post pictures at the end of this thread but wanted some information on the best way to get eggs from my girls and mabey stop the large one crowing. Although eggs isnt a real problem as they are more like pets to us because the kids love them it would be a nice bonus eating fresh eggs!

If anyone could help i would be really grateful

(before you say it i know the smallest hen is quite far from laying!)

Thanks

Liam

Sorry to break it to you, but that's a cockerel.

The good news, the two standing behind him are definitely girls!

If those are Marans, I've not seen that color yet. But the tail is all wrong, almost Cochin-esque without the feathered feet. Almost an English Orpington structure.

How old were the chickens when you bought them? Laying age hens, will squat for the rooster (or you) where they hunker down and spread their wings. A couple of days before laying, they will really fill out in the fluffy tush, you'll notice the drop if you watch. The comb and wattles will brighten to red, though not near the amount of the boy.

You can't make them lay. Average age would be around 24 weeks. Be sure they're getting a good layer feed. Fresh water. As much sun as possible.

You also can't make the boy stop crowing, unless you move him on to someone else so that you can't hear him anymore. Since he's been raised a pet, I'd imagine dumplings would be out of the question.

Last edited:
No problem unless you can't stand the crowing (or your neighbors). You can try contacting the farm you got them from and see if they'll trade out with you. Usually it's an honest mistake when they're in a goofy growing phase.

A couple of weeks ago I listed 2 extra chicks for sale, as male. Turns out, the meanest biggest one is a pullet. So I'm growing them out now to pick the best 2 pair from the 3 pair I have.

You can't easily see a fertilized egg, no chance of breaking open a "started" egg if you collect every day (and the way you're waiting on eggs, I bet you won't miss any!) The difference between a fertile egg and non fertile egg is an irregular shaped blotch on the yolk, that turns into a bullseye mark when fertilized.

This gives you the opportunity to hatch eggs as well if you keep him.

Is it a real problem keeping a cockerel with the girls and can i bring another girl in at this late stage? as we want eggs to eat and not chicks! the very helpful person i brought them off said the cockerel was point of lay!! the black one was 7 - 8 weeks off and i think she said the small only away from the mum that day. we brought them in early january im really quite cheesed off now!! thanks for your help

Yep that's a roo, he will live very happily with the hens if you keep him. Remember the hens once they start will give you two eggs every day each taking a day off during the week usually. So 2x7=14 with a day off here and there you should see easily 9-12 eggs when they both start. Molt, time of year, and feed will effect their laying.

You won't get chicks unless you incubate, or let a hen collect and sit a clutch of eggs. Collect the eggs daily and you have no worries of more chickens.

I agree that this is a roo, but unfortunately I don't agree with the math. Chickens ovulate with a close to 24 hour cycle, which means one egg a day. Every once in a while, you'll get an overacheiving pullet who does two in one day while her system is figuring things out, but it's definitely not a daily event (commercial laying facilities would probably kill for the secret to more eggs a day).

As for the rooster, I would keep him if you can get away with it. Introducing a solo hen into your flock is going to be VERY hard on that hen when everyone picks on her to establish rank. It would be easier to raise a couple more chicks via an established hen in your flock, and she'll enforce the social place of her chicks. No fuss and no work on your part.

I agree with the assessment that this is an Orpington cross. He's definitely not a purebred marans, nor female. The person who sold you the flock was pretty badly mistaken on both counts. He's very pretty though!

Yep that's a roo, he will live very happily with the hens if you keep him. Remember the hens once they start will give you two eggs every day each taking a day off during the week usually. So 2x7=14 with a day off here and there you should see easily 9-12 eggs when they both start. Molt, time of year, and feed will effect their laying.
You won't get chicks unless you incubate, or let a hen collect and sit a clutch of eggs. Collect the eggs daily and you have no worries of more chickens.

Hate it for the disappointment but I'd go ahead and get another girl or two if you're able and let them be a little happy family. :) I'm just really taken with your rooster! He's really neat...if you weren't across the pond... :)

Have fun with your new flock!

I agree that this is a roo, but unfortunately I don't agree with the math. Chickens ovulate with a close to 24 hour cycle, which means one egg a day. Every once in a while, you'll get an overacheiving pullet who does two in one day while her system is figuring things out, but it's definitely not a daily event (commercial laying facilities would probably kill for the secret to more eggs a day).

I think we're reading a gramatical, not math, error. I believe CelticOaksFarm was saying:

Once the hens start laying, one can expect 2 eggs a day on average (because there are 2 hens, one egg from each). They'll take a day off during the week.

That's why CelticOaksFarm said: 2 x 7 = 14.

Whoa! I'm showing this to my girls today and telling 'em to step it up. :)

Devora, that's hilarious! Wouldn't it be lovely if they could pop out two a day (if it didn't tear em up and all).

He is VERY handsome though. I wish I could have a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom