no eggs, lots of feathers, no sign of predator???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kayab423, Oct 22, 2007.

1. kayab423

kayab423 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    I'm at a loss at to what is happening. We haven't had an egg in 4 days and every morning there are a lot of feathers on the bottom of the chicken coop. It sounds like something is getting into the coop every night, but there is no sign of entry or egg remnants. The coop has chicken wire on the floor, a locked door and a locked window that we close at night. Any ideas what could get into the coop and not leave any traces? It must be something that can fit through a very small hole. Need help desperately!!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Unless you've got bodies everywhere, your birds are probably moulting. It looks like a pillow factory exploded.

3. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    is it rats? i had this happen to me an i went out after dark an i was surprised to find about what looked like about 20 mice all over the coop. in the feeder and inside the henhouse.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    My girls have stopped laying and I find lots of feathers on the coop floor. So I would say they are molting sounds like your girls are too.

5. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    :)and the verdict was????? what did ya find out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by