No eggs, now dying, botulism?? mushrooms??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Melissa034, May 31, 2010.

1. Melissa034

Melissa034 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    St. Paris
    I have a larger flock that free range. I usually get 24-28 eggs a day. Starting last week I get 2-4 a day. I have also lost 3 hens. no symptons. they are out walking around one minute next time I check dead. Whats going on?? We did have standing water in places due to heavy rain early last week. And we live next to a woods so I'm sure there is fungus growing somewhere? would these things stop all from laying. Please help if you have any suggestions on whats going on or what to do. My hens are about 1 yr old

2. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    It's possible that they are laying their eggs somewhere in the woods and/or one or more hens are hoarding them getting ready to go broody. I'd take a look around their zone. A drastic drop like that may mean hidden eggs.

Of more concern than fungus in the woods and standing water is their regular feed. Did it get wet in the heavy rains? Feed can develop mold and contaminate quickly in humid conditions if it's gotten wet. I'd double check it.

I don't think that mushrooms would be that much of a concern but you never know with chickens. However,if chickens, and most animals for that matter, have enough nutritious food to eat, they will seldom eat toxic plants. Where I live in the West we have some pretty toxic milkweed that grows in pastures and most of the animals who eat it and die do so because they lack enough good food.

I would suggest a walk about the place looking for one or more chickens sitting in a small nest under a shrub or in tall grass. Look for hidden eggs. Then I'd carefully check their feed. And chickens do on occasion just drop dead due to genetic problems and/or heart defects.

If nothing else, you could probably have a necropsy done on the dead chickens; many universities and/or agricultural extension offices have resources for this and it might not cost you anything.

However, if you have too many more die, you'll need to get the necropsy done and you may have to notify a livestock inspector and/or another authority in case there's a contagious disease going around.

Good luck and I hope things improve for you and your little chickens.

Mary

3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Maybe they have intestinal worms? That can cause eggs to stop and birds' health can go downhill pretty fast with a heavy worm infestation.

4. Melissa034

May 17, 2010
    St. Paris
    my chickens get fresh food and water everyday twice. A mixture of cracked corn and layer mix it is kept inside and doesnt get wet. But our property did have areas with standing water last week. Not all chickens go into the wood. There is a fence between our property and the main woods. Only a few chickens find ways in, and back out. So Im sure its not their food, and weve checked around for other nesting areas, coming up empty handed, or should I say empty nested.

5. Melissa034

May 17, 2010
    St. Paris
    With the intestinal worms would they be fine in the morning and dead by the afternoon? And would their poop look any different than usual?

6. Foleys

Foleys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    I am new so I would like to know that too...About the worms cause I am new to chicken raising and would like to know what to be lookin for...thanks sorry I have no advise for ya.

7. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    I too would treat for parasites.... Yep the dropoff in egg production is your first sign... could be lice. and yep they would die like that.

8. Melissa034

May 17, 2010
    St. Paris
    thank you all so much. I will worm and treat for lice again to see if that helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by