No Eggs or Only Soft Shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amy V, May 21, 2019.

1. Amy V

Amy V Chirping

Hi to my favorite people to go to with my chicken questions. I have 6 2 year old chickens, 5 hens and one rooster. For the past couple of days my girls have either have not laid an egg, or they are soft shelled. They are eating layer feed, I give them crushed egg shells to eat, and they free range during the daylight hours. They've not been interested in the egg shells them the past couple of days either. They are acting and pooping normally, no injuries or bugs, but they do seem to be taking more "naps" than usual.

My questions are:

Since all 5 are having issues could it be stress? Not only have we had some heavy rains, but it's been really windy here in North Texas. In addition, the rooster has started acting up a couple of months ago (must be a late bloomer, he hates me at this point) and we've had more than normal hawk activity lately (breeding season I guess). None are injured, but two have a spot on their backs that are almost completely bald.

Do chickens start to slow down about this age?

If it's not stress, what could affect all the girls at the same time?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Amy

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Too much calcium I'm thinking...Ran out out of water? Etc..

Amy V likes this.
  3. Criticalicious

Criticalicious Songster

Feb 25, 2017
    New Market, VA
    What breed of chickens? Some breeds are more prone to slow down at age 2 than others. Could also be stress

Amy V likes this.
  4. Amy V

Amy V Chirping

The breeds are 2 gold sex link, one black sex link, one Dominique and one leghorn.

5. Amy V

Amy V Chirping

Didn't know about too much calcium, maybe that's why they stopped eating the egg shells. Someone is here all the time they are out and we check their water constantly because they like to play in it and spill it.

BTW, I am also using ACV, probiotics and just started electrolytes in their water as the temp is creeping up. Could that be it?

6. chickens really

Yikes...Definitely only fresh water and the recommended feed.

Amy V likes this.
  7. chickens really

What breed of chickens?

8. Amy V

Amy V Chirping

Thanks for responding! Those ideas for the water I got from this site :) I'll remove the water and put out fresh right now.

The breeds are 2 gold sex links, one black sex link, one Dominique and one leghorn.

9. ShannonR

ShannonR Songster

Sep 17, 2015
    It might be stress from overbreeding.

Amy V likes this.
  10. Amy V

Amy V Chirping

I think he's being rough on them too. I'm locking him up for a bit. Thank you!

ShannonR likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: