NO EGGS?? Please help....Texas A&M

Discussion in 'Quail' started by RedBrush Farm, Jun 29, 2011.

1. RedBrush Farm

RedBrush Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    I am new to quail/chicken/turkey/pheasant/chukar/rabbit/duck raising. This is my first try. (I got carried away when spring hit - wanted to see what I liked best) But my question is in relation to the Texas A&M Quail. I have 30 that are at least 10 weeks old but none are laying eggs. I started them with game bird starter moved up to game bird grower and they look fat and sassy. They have a constant supply of fresh water. (thanks to a cool watering system my husband dreamed up - can send pict. of system if interested) I have dusting boxes in each cage and add/change as needed. The cages are 3.5 feet x 3 feet and I have them divided among three cages. I have more than one male in each cage and know I will need to separate them soon but shouldn't I be getting EGGS???[​IMG]

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Not necessarily they are still young but you should be getting some soon [​IMG]

3. lebedkat

lebedkat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Post the pics of the water supply.... please... We will be building the coop, cages and so on...

4. RedBrush Farm

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    Thanks for the input![​IMG] I have read so much information on the web that I feel shell shocked... I thought that they would lay at about 5 weeks. We are in MO and the weather has been pretty hot lately so I thought that they may be too hot. We placed a window fan in the barn and a "Whirly Thing" on top to pull some of the hot air out. I guess I am just impatient.[​IMG]

5. RedBrush Farm

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    I will take pict. of the water system this evening and post tomorrow. It never ceases to amaze me at the things my husband can come up.[​IMG]

6. lebedkat

lebedkat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Thank you!!!! Take a picture of the whole setup too.... We need some ideas:)

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I have found my Texas A and Ms to take longer to lay. They bulk up, then they lay. So patience is key [​IMG] And then expect some big eggs [​IMG]

8. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    mine took about that long til they started. now they lay huge eggs for quail. sometimes they stop for a few days and start up again. but they took a whole lot longer than i thought. i have 25 jumbo browns that should be dropping eggs real soon. they are around 10 weeks and they are looking real full and fat now like my older ones are. takes time to get eggs from a bird that is bred for size and MEAT production mainly over egg. but once the eggs start they seem to never stop.

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    They'll Lay When They're Ready And Not 1 Second Sooner.... Sux, But Now It's Just A Waiting Game....

10. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Yup! JJ, it's the darnedest thing!

The A&M's should be a good 16oz. by now and laying 1-2 eggs a day.

All kidding aside, shoot for sameness, and don't switch coturnix feed, because, when you make the wrong choice, and get egg loss, then switch them back to the good stuff. You will get punished for switching back to the good stuff. MOMONEY MOTIME...etc...

Raising coturnix is a marathon, not a sprint! As JJ says. Hens will lay when they are good and ready. Not a moment sooner!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by