no eggs.. sad face..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leedyfeathers, Aug 15, 2014.

1. leedyfeathers

leedyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    VA
    confused a tad here... yeah they may not just be ready to accually lay but somethings have got me wandering. for one.. two weeks ago i heard more than once the egg song.. hubby did to. we checked weeds and coop .. nothing! they show all the signs other than sqating when i approach. our rooster however is getting over time in. all that singing has gone this week they chatter all the time but no song. i have twice heard a hen in the coop making sounds but not singing and then will leave after a short time .. no egg. her talking is something like baaaaaaawk cluck cluck .. with silace or very low gurgalling and once in a while a bawk bawk. baaaaaaaaaaaaawk and its not loud kind of like chicken whispering or something.. i figure maybe checking out the nest box maybe and i noticed today two of the other big ladies hung around coop making similar chatter and coming in and out of coop. is this progress or has this colder weather put a wrench in the works? maybe the roosters increased advances possibly or because he stures up the younger chicks chasing them around tryn to breed... could i just be too impatent??
    i feef them layef mesh i give treats always have fresh water.. clean coop..

2. bobshere

bobshere Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are they and what breed?

3. leedyfeathers

Jul 21, 2014
    VA

they are 24 weeks 3 jersey giabts one austrlorp and three barreds the rest are 15 going on 16weeks.

4. bobshere

I wouldn't be too concerned. They will lay when its their time. I know its frustrating but they seem to have a mind of their own when it comes to laying eggs. If they arnt squatting yet , you are likely going to wait longer , although some never squat. Nothings for sure just giving my opinion. Make sure you have a good 14-16 hours of.light for them. Lots of people don't realize the light thing and never get eggs because the chickens never see light. I'm sure they will lay soon enough..

1 person likes this.
  5. leedyfeathers

Jul 21, 2014
    VA
    well obly problam they could have with light is last week has been over cast so much so it looked to be 730 about dusk where i live though tbey didnt go in coop to roost untill 845..sun fown here in the south west va. i thought maybe heat but ive allowed weeds to cover the back half of yard pen so that they have shelter from sun and birds of pray.. sixfoot.. no kjoke! has been very coveted by my birds thats were you find them during hot part of the day or when danger is aloft. however theres no eggs in that spot either so guess it is just me being impatient.

6. bobshere

Have they started to squat if you reach down to touch them?

1 person likes this.
  7. leedyfeathers

Jul 21, 2014
    VA
    they get close but if i reach down they move down in a crouch just enough to get away from my touch my. i would think its not the same thing as your talking about. some my other teenies i got from hatery will let me pet them.

8. bobshere

Keep checking. You will know if its a squat. When they start to squat you know they are close. A week or two. Keep me posted..

1 person likes this.
  9. leedyfeathers

Jul 21, 2014
    VA
    thats what i kinda did today best time is when i hand out treats

10. bobshere

Here is the monster egg I received today[​IMG]
    . Courtesy of Hannah.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by