No Eggs Since...October? Any tips or ideas?

KerriChick

Songster
Aug 5, 2020
East Bay, CA
Hi all!

I am very frustrated with my flock of three freeloaders. They all had a hard molt this winter, but it's nice and warm here in CA and two of them are FINALLY squatting. We lost one chicken several weeks back, they are in a new huge coop with FIVE nest boxes to choose from(I have chicks coming in April)...and nothing. I'm wondering if it's just all the changes and the loss that is delaying them? One is a Brahma who is supposed to be a winter layer, right? And my Orpington is a pea brain who just does whatever everyone else is doing, when she's not trying to kill me with death looks and stealth ankle attacks.

I think my Marans is grumping like she wants to lay an egg. Problem-she is hiding in our new half acre downslope yard that is overgrown with ivy and I think she is trying to lay in there. It is unlikely I will ever find an egg in the ivy unless I see her lay it! How do I get her in the coop to lay in the new-to-her nest box? I tried putting all three back in the coop, but it's warm out and I feel bad that they are stuck in there complaining and stuffy(they free range in our little back yard jungle). The ivy is coming out slowly(just bought the home in August) but until then-any ideas? We are putting a large pen in for when I need to confine them but don't have the fence up yet. They never laid outside the coop when they had their smaller one, but we had a 7000 sq. ft. flat yard so it's not like they had a lot of options like they do here!

Before you post the standard advice, yes they have constant access to crushed oyster shell, crushed eggshells, organic pellet layer feed, clean water, and one small bin of food scraps with a handful of mealworms in the morning. They are big and very healthy with red combs, healthy poops, and clean vents. They all laid regularly before their molt(they will be 2 April 1). I stay at home so I know they haven't been laying just yet unless they have been absolutely silent about it.

Maybe I'm just posting because I know how it works and once I gripe about it in public they will all be laying perfectly pretty much immediately. LOL

Chickens live off spite, I'm sure off it .
Between the hard molt and decreased daylight over winter, they should start again soon. High protein feed will help them both through molts and better laying.
Since you have two types of supplemental calcium, the layer feed is unnecessary (usually) and should be switched to an 17% protein or higher all flock feed.

@nuthatched Thanks, I will check out the all flock, they are done molting and we are in the Bay Area where it is 70+ during the day and 40 degrees at night, so they have it pretty easy-winter is pretty much done here, just hopefully some rain in March. The light is still only 11-12 hrs. a day and I don't supplement, so there is that.

The light is still only 11-12 hrs. a day and I don't supplement, so there is that.
Which is a huge factor.

It is unlikely I will ever find an egg in the ivy unless I see her lay it! How do I get her in the coop to lay in the new-to-her nest box?
Lock them in......after an exam.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Maybe I'm just posting because I know how it works and once I gripe about it in public they will all be laying perfectly pretty much immediately. LOL
:gig one can hope!

Mine are fairly tame, it's just that one likes to make a game out of it...anywho I managed to check them, and only the Brahma passed the 2 finger test, so I'll keep a closer eye on her...the other 2 are only about 1 1/2, so I think they are getting ready.

My orpington will attack at night from the roost(she really is a terrible chicken, but she loves the kids and only hates me so we haven't had the heart to cull...I mean rehome... her)

Update: Flossie laid her egg in the coop yesterday after I recovered her from the ivy when she was trying to nest in there. Thanks for listening, hopefully I can manage to keep her laying in the right place! I am 95% sure it was her first egg-it was small and pointy, and her eggs are usually fatter and quite large(Brahma). Not to mention the amount of loud complaining my hens do before they lay is kind of hard to miss. So much drama.

Back
Top Bottom