no eggs since thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by banditgin, Dec 7, 2007.

1. banditgin

banditgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Boonsboro, MD
    my silkie hen (shes about 7 months) hasn't layed an egg since Thanksgiving. She seems broody. It has been on the cold side since then.

should I be worried? I have been getting brahma eggs

thanks

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Broody, no eggs? So she's sitting on nothing?

Some folks say the short days affect egg production. Hey, everyone needs a break now and then, right? Or am I just tired on a Fri night......

3. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

1/2 of my flock have stopped laying since it got cold AND they are in a molt....it may just be the cold.......my adopted bantams are laying though? You can never tell I am guessing

4. banditgin

Jul 16, 2007
    Boonsboro, MD
    Usually she sits on no eggs in the nesting box - though I have caught her on a brahma egg once or twice.

5. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    I'm popping in here to add my 0.02

I understand her it would be normal for her to be a bit sluggish in the cold. But would she basically refuse to leave unless you move her if she wasn't broody?

When I got her out of the box the last time she laid an egg, she also took an enormous poop. Almost the size of an egg itself!

6. banditgin

Jul 16, 2007
    Boonsboro, MD
    she has since made poopies in the box - both big and small. shes also started to get out on her own and walk around outside with the others

7. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I have 2 silkies that are brooding golf balls at the moment. At first I thought it was the cold and they were just trying to keep warmer, but they do the tell tale little growl when I shift them about in the nest box at egg check time...lol.

Egg production in general is down to about a 1/3 of what I was getting. I was talking to a friend last night and he claims a 100 watt light bulb will keep them going strong. I told him I thought they could use a break and this would be a nice time to re-charge so they are strong in the spring........

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by