No eggs suddenly

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suewtsn, Feb 17, 2014.

1. suewtsn

suewtsn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Strathmore, Alberta
    I have three Roos and six hens all under a year. The girls were laying one to two eggs a day and all stopped. About a week ago. It's been cold here but warmed up also about a week ago. They are in a warm coop with a skylight and window so get a lot of light and were giving eggs throughout the cold so I can't understand why they all stopped. They have layered rations, oyster shells, scraps, and all healthy and happily running around.
    One of the hens was broody and sat on about nine eggs but we have since taken them. I wondered if a bunch of eggs in there a while would stop them laying?? Sounds weird but I can think of anything else. It's February and they aren't moulting and the days are getting longer.
    If I have to go buy eggs, I'm going to charge them rent!!!
    Help!:p

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. NewfieMom

NewfieMom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    Beautiful East Texas
    My ducks suddenly stopped laying. Took me 4 or 5 days to realize they were going into molt.

4. suewtsn

suewtsn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Strathmore, Alberta
    Thx all. They are back laying but not as much. I have roosters killing each other now and a hen with a sore arse. lol ahhhhh the joys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by