No eggs suddenly

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by robynandbatman, Feb 19, 2014.

1. robynandbatman

robynandbatman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Not sure what happened, but all of a sudden no eggs! I have 7 ladies between 1-3 years of age. In the fall they molted and we were down to 1-2 eggs per day, then in January when we got unseasonably warmer weather they went back to 5-6 eggs per day. 3 days ago they stopped. 4 days ago we forgot to put out the extra spent grain and greens we usually do in the evening and my husband says they are just mad. [​IMG] It also got colder and snowed the next day. They are free fed pellets and water is changed/refreshed every 3-4 days as needed. No other behavior changes or issues.

Ideas? Suggestions to get them laying again?

2. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    It sounds like that the hens started to pick up there egg laying due to the warm weather. Once that cold spell happened and it snowed the hens stopped laying because they had got used to the warm weather. I suggest giving them sometime for them to adjust.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Could their water have frozen? Lack of water will cause them to stop laying, as eggs have a high water content.

4. robynandbatman

robynandbatman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Nope, heated water dish that we check daily and refill every 3-4 days. We add cider vinegar to it as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by