1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No eggs??? What is going on.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jppayne34, Oct 1, 2011.

1. jppayne34

jppayne34 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    I have some Hollands, buff Brahmas, and Welsummers. I had the H & BB first. Coyotes got my big BB rooster so I went and got the Welsummers. Two hens & one Rooster. They all seemed to be doing good when I put them together, the hens was picked on some but not bad i didnt think.They have been together for a few months now. Anyway now the H & BB have stop laying. It has been going on for almost three weeks which every now and then i might get a egg from one of them. The Welsummers are laying no problem a egg each a day. Any help or suggestions would be great. I am almost to the point to sell them and get more. thanks

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    How old are they? Any sign of molting going on?

Several of mine have stopped laying, but they are molting. I've seen an increase in tiny eggs (wind eggs) since the molt has started. It could also have a lot to do with daylight getting shorter. Good luck!

3. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    [​IMG]
    I forgot to say Welcome!!!!

4. jppayne34

May 17, 2010
    The H & BB are around a 1 1/2 years. I had a small no egg laying problem about a month earlier when a hail storm came they was not smart enough to go back inside or get up the coop. It lasted about a week then back to normal. Had a BB that went broody and finally after a month got her 2 baby chics and slipped them in under her. One died and someone said it might be raccoon. We have been catching raccoons and some possums outside the cage for the past month now. He had it happen to him. They are a lot of feathers on the ground outside but I dont really see bare spots on them other than where the rooster has been on them some.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Perhaps molting--your birds are the right age; I had to ask a few days ago if first year birds molt--they do not. the following year they do molt, and egg production also drops off because the daylight hours have been shortening for a while. SOme breeds keep laying thru the winter though not as many, and others will not lay without added light. I'm sorry I don't know where your breeds fit in with winter laying.

GL

6. jppayne34

May 17, 2010
    I was thinking it could be the daylight hours. we have been having some colder weather here but I know last winter they were popping out eggs like crazy and didnt think about letting up. I am new to this and after being use to them laying a egg a day then all of a sudden stop worries me that something was wrong. any ideal how long they will molt if that is it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by