No Eggs!?! What's Going On?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Erin~TheChickenLover, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    I have 5 laying hens: A barred Rock, black austrolorp, and 3 easter eggers. I also have 6 pullets going on 4 months. I took out the layer feed because I read that it could cause younger birds not yet laying to have kidney damage. They were laying great but no eggs today and only one yesterday! I used to get 3 eggs a day. So this is not normal for us. I give them yard scratch and finisher mixed half and half. Any suggestions?

2. Erin~TheChickenLover

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    Anyone? They free range during the day, so they get all kinds of goodies foraging on our 20 acres. I put vitamins in their water too. I am confused.

3. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
  4. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    It could be the heat. I keep thinking that I'm only getting 3 a day from my 12 because of the heat. Surely the others would be laying at this point, they are all the same age! So, if it's hot where you live...really try to keep them cool and offer more cold treats (mine love frozen veggies or plain cooked oatmeal that's been in the fridge overnight)

5. Erin~TheChickenLover

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    Interesting. I did not know that yard scratch is considered a treat that upsets their diets. That's just about all the people around here feed their chickens...some just feed cracked corn. Thank you! I am learning new things all the time! I like the frozen vege idea. They LOVE tomatoes! I will try giving them "tomato sicles" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by