No eggs yet? A bit worried.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KatsCountryCritters, Sep 13, 2012.

1. KatsCountryCritters

KatsCountryCritters Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    I am a bit worried. My bantams are 24 weeks and have not layed any eggs. My full size chickens are older than them and have not layed yet. When they were very young they would sleep in the nesting boxes, so I put curtains up and they stayed out. I've taken the curtains down and they sleep in front of the boxes, but haven't ventured inside yet. There are no eggs yet. Should I be concerned? This isn't just one, but 8!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Be patient, they will lay. As long as they are apparently healthy, there is nothing to worry about. Some just mature more slowly than others. This especially varies from breed to breed.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    x2

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    X3

They'll be fine. How do they look? Do they have nice big red combs and wattles? Then it will be any day now. If their combs haven't reddened yet, you'll have more time to wait.

And it definitely depends on breed. I have Tetra Tints, Red Sex Links and white Leghorns that lay around 19 weeks. My Rocks, Wyandottes and EEs often wait until 25-30 weeks or longer (grrr).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by