No eggs yet. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by juliect, Sep 15, 2009.

1. juliect

juliect Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Niota, TN
    I have four pullets between 22 & 25 weeks and no eggs yet. [​IMG] Two Speckled Sussex and two EEs

They are all healthy and happy and SPOILED. Nothing I try seems to induce them to laying. I have even threatened to cut off their mealworm treats if I don't get some eggs [​IMG] ...but nothing has worked. Their combs are still light pink as well.

I have moved my 7 week old Favs chicks into a nearby coop and run. The older girls aren't happy with that at all and they spend most of their monitored "free range" time hurling threats at the younger ones through the wire. Could that be enough stress to delay laying?

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    some chickens lay later then others my EEs layed at 6 months

3. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I have some chickens that were hatched sometime in March and are still not laying yet. We'll just have to be patient. And the others won't stress them enough to not lay. They're just not ready to lay yet. And that's okay. They will have less chance of propalaspe (spelling sorry) then.

4. chickon baby

chickon baby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    st charles
    Mine were born April 1st of last year and started laying at the end of June.When they slowed down w/laying,My neighbor told me to increase the amout of light they get.So I put timers out in the coop and the lights go on at 6am and off at 9pm.They were laying everyday and we stopped the timmer,now they have been molting and 1 of them hasnt layed for over 3mos.I think I will try the timer again.Hope that helps

5. juliect

Jul 9, 2009
    Niota, TN
    I feel better! I thought I was doing something wrong. I will have to practice some mama-hen relaxation methods [​IMG]

I will give the timer a try...although Meg (SS) thinks that I should be out there the minute she sees light and she clucks loudly until I walk out to the coop...it doesn't matter if I go out before daylight and fill feeders and waterers, she expects me there when they come down from their roosts (I told you they were spoiled [​IMG])

6. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    You are not alone. There are dozens of us shaking our heads asking "where are my eggs?"

Just remember . . . good things come to those who wait and if they don't start laying you could always turn them into roasters.
    Or threaten to.

7. juliect

Jul 9, 2009
    Niota, TN
    Quote:LOL
    I've threatened that too...Jo's nickname is Pot-O-Dumplings

8. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Patience. You will be rewarded soon enough.[​IMG]

9. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Put some kool-aid out to attract the chicken fairy to dance amongst your hens, and soon they will lay eggs.

[​IMG]

10. juliect

Jul 9, 2009
    Niota, TN
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by