No eggs yet...hhmmmm

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Heathero617, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    I got my flock >for the most part< in March of this year. I have left of the originals 1 barred rock roo, a barred rock hen, and a red sexlink hen. Ok so march, april, may, june, july, august, september.....WHERE IN THE WORLD ARE MY EGGS? LOL I had been getting 1 very small egg every 2 weeks or so from i suspect either a dutch bantam or a bantam wyandotte lookin girl. But i'm not even getting those any more. I've got those 4 girls who to me should be giving me something, plus i've got a barred/lavander cochin, 3 game girls who should be laying or very close to it. I'm far more worried about my rock and sexlink as i KNOW they are old enough. Yes they freerange most of the day but i have gone on egg hunts to where they always hang out and nothing. My sexlink hasnt even gone red in the comb or face area, my rock had a curled over comb but it has straightened up now and she is very red so I keep looking and nothing still. Maybe I should take them to a chicken shrink or something to help them sort out their problems or something?

2. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    how old were they when you got them? they usually start laying at 20 to 24 weeks old.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  3. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Mine are 17 weeks old and I continue to check the
    nests everyday.....watched pot never boils.[​IMG]

4. silky_3699

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Quote:yeah, yours won't lay until another month or so.

5. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Sometimes they take longer than we'd like. Out of this year's hatch (late Jan. and early Feb.) I still have two Olive Eggers holding out on me.[​IMG] But I'm a bit surprised that your BR and especially your RSL aren't laying yet. Is it possible that they're laying in a "secret" spot? Have you checked around well?

Oops, just read the end of your post - I should really read the whole thing before answering! However, given that they free range, I would almost bet that somewhere there's a pile of eggs you don't know about. They can be sneaky!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  6. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    another month?!?!?!
    Please don't tell me that. I can wait
    ~3 weeks. That sounds better...3 weeks,
    3 weeks, 3 weeks:D

7. silky_3699

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Quote:thats just 1 week less than a month. or 168 hours or 10080 minutes or 60480 seconds or one slow and painful long week that takes 168 hours or 10080 minutes or 60480 seconds. am i totally making you feel like it is going to take forever! i hope so! [​IMG]

8. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Yeah i have walked and walked and moved bushes and brush and followed them for hours and nothing. No secret stashes no squatting no song no sweet sounds of production )O:

9. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    ohhh and they were about a week old when i got them so they are around 6 months old

10. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Might be just the fall molt coming around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by