No eggs yet, so should I lay off "treats"?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by catw0man, Aug 7, 2011.

1. catw0man

catw0man Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Splendora, TX
    I have received no eggs yet. (my chickens are about 6 - 7 months old, I think). I've read/heard to lay off the "extra treats" until egg production begins. For treats I give them lettuce, tomatoes, celery, apples, dried mealworms . . . obviously NOT at the same time and usually every other day. I feed them laying crumble in the morning and some scratch scattered about their run.
    I think I'm going to change up and give them the scratch in the late afternoon or evening only.

What do you think? Thanks for any advice.

Still waiting for eggs in the Texas heat !!!!!! [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Heat can slow down laying. And in Texas you are getting plenty.
    They should start laying anytime now, but I have had pullets wait till 33-35 weeks.
    If you are giving them lots of treats cutting back is good, but I don't think it is a big problem. Sounds like you are giving them good treats.

Imp

3. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Sounds like they are in the range of normal. Just wondered: do they have access to the laying crumble all day long, so they are sure to get enough protein?

4. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    With your heat I would be giving them watermelon every day. They love it and it is a good source of water which they need in the heat. I have also been giving mine some of their crumbles mixed with mashed fruit and plain yogurt, All of mine have just started laying and I have continued with their treats with no problems.

5. ky-chicken-farmer

ky-chicken-farmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    You didnt mention what breeds you have. Some breeds take longer to start laying, also the heat you have been dealing with will hamper egg laying. Here in Ky the heat and humidity has really slowed mine down.

6. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  7. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:I was just about to ask the same thing?

8. catw0man

catw0man Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Splendora, TX
    Quote:Yes, they have access to the crumble all day. It's usually about gone by the time I put them to bed. I have their feeder outside of the coop, so I take it in every night so other critters don't get into it by chance.

As far as the breeds . . . well, I'm not sure. The farmer I got them from said they are Aracauna. But he also has Americaunas, Australorps, Orpingtons . . . .
    I can't wait until I can post pics so all of you can help me out with this dilema. (Hopefully by then I'll have figured out HOW TO post pics!) [​IMG]

I think I'll try the watermelon. We have had a couple of weeks in a row of 100+ temperatures. They have three sources of water and I try to refresh it at least once a day. I also have a fan blowing in under the coop. They like to sit underneath the coop in the shade.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am learning so much from everyone on this forum!!!!

9. mrsfig

mrsfig Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    San Jose
    I'd say it's the heat, lay off scratch since it contains corn and produces more energy to burn making them hotter. Use more towards winter when cold, to help keep them warm. Use it like it candy to kids, not daily. Yes watermelon on hot days and keep water cool for them. Sometimes if it's warm mine will go a day without laying. But your having crazy heat which we haven't had in a while, thankfully. It'll happen every girl is different. Mine started at 13 wks?! They are 4 mos. and 3 of 6 are laying but its not consistent yet. How exciting, any time for you now!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by