No Eggs Yet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TBurd44, Sep 14, 2016.

1. TBurd44

TBurd44 New Egg

Jul 30, 2016
    We brought home a hen and four chicks about 8 weeks ago. The chicks were 2 weeks old at the time. Our mama hen, a black jersey giant, still isn't laying eggs. It's been almost 10 weeks now. Is this normal?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    When a hen is broody (incubating eggs or raising chicks) her hormones "switch gears" and that means that production of eggs is disrupted. Once she finishes her broody cycle the hormones will transition back to production mode. This process can vary considerably from one hen to the next as far as how long it might take. Some factors that can influence the return of production are age of the hen, time of year, how long she "mothers" the chicks, diet, overall health of the bird, etc.

1 person likes this.
  3. TBurd44

TBurd44 New Egg

Jul 30, 2016
    Thank you! This is our very first flock. I've been reading a lot and trying to learn as much as I can. Mama and chicks are doing very well. They appear happy, healthy and are growing like weeds. I guess I just need to be patient [​IMG]

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If she's over a year old, it's likely that you won't see eggs from her until spring is on the way. It's the beginning of 'molting' season, and it's also the time of year when days are getting shorter. Egg production is tied to daylight exposure. Less daylight means fewer eggs, until production ceases entirely.

1 person likes this.
  5. TBurd44

TBurd44 New Egg

Jul 30, 2016
    Oh no!! I think I'll keep this info from my husband, lol. He was hoping for eggs four weeks ago!! [​IMG] We have so much to learn. Thank you so much for the valuable information. It's greatly appreciated. [​IMG][​IMG]

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The chicks may be laying before the hen, if they are female. Do you have a plan for the boys?

7. TBurd44

TBurd44 New Egg

Jul 30, 2016
    My husband's aunt will take the Roos back. I think I have at least one. Maybe two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by