No eggs yet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lisa Chicks, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Lisa Chicks

Lisa Chicks New Egg

Oct 24, 2016
    Nebraska
    My 6 month old white leghorn has not layed eggs yet. She has a good diet, exercise, a good nest box,and seems healthy. Is this typical?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    While production bred leghorns are often early to mature, there is nothing unusual about a 6 month old bird not yet laying. It can often be helpful to age birds in weeks vs. months with regards to maturation at this point -- also, is this bird of exhibition (breeder) or production (hatchery) lines? Can you take and post a photo or two of the bird so that we can see and assess the physical signs of maturity?

1 person likes this.
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Just like humans, chickens mature at their own rate. There is no set time that a bird will start laying, they will lay when their bodies are mature enough to lay. Also, with the decreasing daylight, it will take longer for a bird to start laying.

Some other factors that can inhibit laying:
    Feed, make sure they have feed available at all times
    Water, do not let them run out. Eggs have a high water content.
    Coop stresses, or predator issues.

4. Maeschak

Maeschak Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Could she be hiding her eggs? My production leghorn would go to *extreme* lengths to hide her eggs.... just a thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by