No eggs yet!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pamperedchicks, Oct 11, 2013.

1. pamperedchicks

pamperedchicks New Egg

Oct 11, 2013
    England
    Hello from England! I have 3 chickens (first time chicken owner) they were 21 weeks on Monday, been feeding them layer pellets! Should I be doing anything else to encourage them to lay?? Or should I not be expecting eggs yet??

Thank you! [​IMG]

2. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    You can't force them to lay. It will happen soon.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! It should happen soon, I know it's hard to wait :)

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

What breed of chickens are they? Some can start much later than others. In addition, when the day length is becoming short, some birds will take longer to start or may defer laying until the days start getting longer again. At that age layer will probably not hurt them, but you could switch to an all-flock ration until you start seeing eggs.

6. pamperedchicks

pamperedchicks New Egg

Oct 11, 2013
    England
    Thanks for that. I have an Amber Link, a black rock and a staffordshire blue ranger!
    I may try them on a different type of feed then!

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] combs and faces redden up as pullets are approaching point of lay. They may also do the chicken squat if you touch their backs - like they would for breeding. If you put a golf ball or two I the nesting boxes it will give them the idea that is where eggs should be laid

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. Sandywitch

Sandywitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    ARGHHHH!!!! This waiting is just killing me!!! I have four pullets, a buff orpington, a barred rock, and two cuckoo marans. Three are 23 weeks old and one is 25 weeks old, but I'm not sure which one. I know the marans are 23 weeks. The BO and BR have red faces, combs, and wattles. I got the nest boxes ready with wooden eggs in them. We just switched to layer pellets since the grower pellets just ran out and we didn't want to buy another 50 lb bag of that this close to laying (hopefully). I have a major surgery in two days and, with my luck, one of them will probably lay their first egg while I'm in the hospital!!! I've even opened up the lid to the nest boxes and stood there clucking like an idiot trying to lure them into the coop to show them the wooden eggs to try to encourage them to "get the idea." They heard me, but instead of going INto the coop, they ran under it to talk to my legs!!!!! After surgery I won't be able to walk out back and down the deck steps to the coop for weeks since the surgery is on one of my legs, a fempop. I just know that hubby will find the first egg. NOOOOOOO!!!!! I'm their mommy, not him!!!! My laugh even resembles cackling! LOL! I wonder if there's a particular kind of music that would encourage egg-laying? I'm desperate!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by