no eggs yet

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wyattbaggett, Nov 21, 2013.

1. wyattbaggett

wyattbaggett Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    I have a 31 week old buff orpington, a 30 week old dark brahma, a 26 week old partridge chochin and a 26 week old silkie. I've read they should all be laying right now. Why aren't they?

2. itlog

itlog Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2013
    Zone 5, Midwest
    I have almost 24 week easter egger bantams and have No eggs yet. I was thinking maybe due to decreasing sunlight. Where are you located. Heard chickens need 12-14hr of sunlight to lay eggs. Are you supplementing with light in early morning? I havent done this and still debating if I will supplement at all. Right now sunrise for us is 630am and sunset 430pm. Sorry, I too am a newbie on egg watch, so not much help here.

3. wyattbaggett

Oct 6, 2013
    we have sunlight from 6:00 to 5:30, but I think they should have started laying before the hours of daylight started to get so short. We have friends with 28 week old silkies that have all been laying for almost two months.

4. itlog

itlog Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2013
    Zone 5, Midwest
    Do they free range? Maybe they are laying somewhere on your property and not in nest boxes? I just read that someone had to keep their chickens cooped up for a few days to see if they were laying. Sneaky chickens might be hiding a large stash of eggs by now.

5. wyattbaggett

Oct 6, 2013
    They used to, but we have a raccoon living under our house so until we catch it there staying in

6. wyattbaggett

Oct 6, 2013
    i was at my friends house and their chickens are laying everyday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by