No Eggs!

Dlshearon

Hatching
Apr 18, 2015
Midwest
I adopted a few 2 year old birds a week ago and they've produced nada! Relocating causes stress and it is getting darker but really? Wyadottes and Orpington are the breeds. Any suggestions welcome.

I adopted a few 2 year old birds a week ago and they've produced nada! Relocating causes stress and it is getting darker but really? Wyadottes and Orpington are the breeds. Any suggestions welcome.

Welcome to BYC!!
You may not see eggs from them (at least in regular numbers) until spring. At their age they have experienced a perfect storm of production interrupters - molt, seasonal change of lighting, stress from relocation. This is the time of year where you would normally see production slack off and/or stop all together between a bird's first and second laying cycle. *IF* you want you can use supplemental lighting to up the total hours of light they have to 14 hours per day (the change should be made incrementally and is best accomplished by having the lights come on in the morning before dawn vs. staying on after dusk). - it can help to overcome the natural disruption of the shortened daylight hours of winter.

Welcome to BYC!!
You may not see eggs from them (at least in regular numbers) until spring. At their age they have experienced a perfect storm of production interrupters - molt, seasonal change of lighting, stress from relocation. This is the time of year where you would normally see production slack off and/or stop all together between a bird's first and second laying cycle. *IF* you want you can use supplemental lighting to up the total hours of light they have to 14 hours per day (the change should be made incrementally and is best accomplished by having the lights come on in the morning before dawn vs. staying on after dusk). - it can help to overcome the natural disruption of the shortened daylight hours of winter.
x3

I adopted three 2-year-old hens from my aunt last summer and it took them exactly one month to lay. I'm sure they were stressed out from the move. This was also midsummer however, so depending on all the factors mentioned by the posters above it could be as long as Spring until you see an egg. Hopefully not though.

Welcome to BYC!!
x4

Back
Top Bottom