NO EGGS

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by barb01154, Sep 5, 2016.

1. barb01154

barb01154 New Egg

Aug 21, 2016
    I live in phoenix and have had my chickens for almost 2 years, the first spring I had my original 6 i got eggs everyday, had 2 RIR, 2 BR and @ americauna, Life was good, love my girls, then I read that after 2 years they decline in production and I invested in a few more chick, I have had several mishaps and a hawk got in the yard and took care of 4 pullets, and beheaded at BR and wounded a RIR, Before that even happened my egg production dropped almost to none, I had 12 hens at the time and getting maybe 1-2 eggs, now its 1 egg every other day, I give calcium, use layer food, fresh water, and they free range on days I am home so 3-4 days a week, I"m lost for works, So now I have purchased 15 chicks, they were all born the beginning of July, I think about 5 of them will be Roo, But, I have no idea why I have no eggs, they all seen healthy, don"t want to ramble but I keep reading and reading and not getting any peice of mind,
    thanks from all my girls

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I can see a couple of factors at work here. First, your older hens are at the age where they are most likely going into molt which slows down and eventually stops production. If the hawk attack was recent, stress could also be affecting egg laying, as could the stress from adding to our flock. One more thing to consider - could they possibly be laying elsewhere when they are free ranging?

3. barb01154

barb01154 New Egg

Aug 21, 2016
    They free range in the yard on days I'm home, but used to all the time until the hawk incident, I have citrus trees they like to sit under and no eggs. I got 1 blue egg 4 days ago and that's it and it's a hen that was laying everyday, first egg from her in 2 months, I'm just baffled and I hate to give up on my girls,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by