No Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Happydaddy, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Happydaddy

Happydaddy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2014
    Hello we are new to this and have a couple of questions. The first is how often should you clean a chicken coop? I went to a course and the fellow speaking said he cleans his only once a year. Is it a good idea to have a thick layer of the old stuff to keep the floor warmer in the winter? The second is about eggs. We have 52 brown Leghorns and we were getting between 48 to 56 eggs per day. We have have some cooler days (around -5c) with snow and for the last two days the chickens have laid no eggs, is this normal?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It sounds like the speaker you heard was talking about the Deep Litter Method (DLM) - which is one approach that can work for coop maintenance, one I happen to like a lot and have used for all my flocks. Whether or not it is a good fit for you/your flock/your coop depends is not so easy to answer without knowing more about your setup. What you may find helpful is to do a search here on BYC for DLM and read some of the posts about the ins and outs of the method to see if it will fit with your setup.

3. Happydaddy

Happydaddy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2014
    Thank you I will

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by