NO EGGS!?

irmad

Songster
10 Years
Jun 22, 2013
UK
I have 10, 7 and half month old speckled sussex. Their combs are dark red the cock is also tedding them well but they just don't seem to lay any eggs. What could be wrong? I also have light on in the coop as their is only 11 hours of sunlight.

Sounds like you need to go on an Easter egg hunt! If they don't have nest boxes in the coop, then they will find a private place to lay. Most of the time they will all lay in the same place, though, which is good.

I have 10, 7 and half month old speckled sussex. Their combs are dark red the cock is also tedding them well but they just don't seem to lay any eggs. What could be wrong? I also have light on in the coop as their is only 11 hours of sunlight.
Have they ever laid?
Do you free range?

They are caged. They have quite a large run and a large coop. They have got two nest boxes inside the coop.
The hens have started to squake today... maybe the egg laying time is near... their wattles are very red now..I heard chilli powder mixed with sweet corn helps... I don't want to hurt my girls with chilli powder.

Nothing will spur a bird to lay before it's body is ready.

More info on... number and age of birds, size of coop and run(in feet by feet), what and how exactly you are feeding.... might solve the mystery.

My light sussex where laying at the same age. Same amount of birds and same coop. Speckled sussex are totally different. Oh well, ile let nature take its course... when they are ready, they will do their thing.

Hi,

I've heard that in the cold months chickens need a lot of protein to stay warm and produce eggs. Some feed them whole kernel corn, sunflower seeds and assure laying through winter months. Good luck!

P.S. Did your chickens recover from their runny noses a few years ago? Having the same issue here in The States. Thanks!

Managed to cure their runny noses. you can buy antibiotics in powder form. ile check the name and message you. you have to add a teaspoon to a gallon of water and feed your flock. You will see improvement in 2-3 days and within a week they start to eat and drink as normal.

The product I used is called Rohnfried Gambazin 25g sachet. look for it on Google. Works like a charm. when my hens were ill they were in a real bad state and within a week they were perfectly healthy.

Back
Top Bottom