No eggs

4 Chickies

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2020
My chickens are 20+ weeks old and only 1 hen just recently laid a single egg and that was it. I let them out recently for the first time to roam, I never did because they can easily go under the fence and escape or into the pool and drown. I let them roam everyday in rocks (I have no real grass just fake) for 3-4 days. I saw a hen sitting on top of a half empty bag of pine shavings that I use for their coup. She sat their for a little and when she got up there was my first egg. Why won’t they lay inside their nesting box? I put in 2 decoy eggs to help them also. I added pictures to help. I also put 1 picture of the half empty pine shavings bag where the hen laid her egg.
thanks for any helpful feed back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    648.7 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    771.5 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 9
A few things, I like @rosemarythyme am curious about the basket around the fake eggs

Also is there a way for them to get to the nesting box (aside from flying to it)? The picture doesn’t look like there’s another way.

Have they explored the nesting area at all?

I’m not sure what all breeds you have and I didn’t look to see where you live but some pullets take longer to start laying than others.

Have they explored the nest box at all? Look for evidence that they've kicked around the fake eggs or bedding there.

What's the little basket for around the fakes?
Yes they always go in the nest box. I always see them in there. I added the basket because they would kick all the flakes out, with the basket it stays more and I thought they would like to lay in it.

Yes they always go in the nest box. I always see them in there. I added the basket because they would kick all the flakes out, with the basket it stays more and I thought they would like to lay in it.
I don't think they would actually, mine wouldn't either. What breeds?

At 20 weeks, they are just getting started. Many don't lay until 24 weeks or later. They will figure it out. It is like an Easter egg hunt when they first start. @aart is right. Lock them up until they figure it out. Pretty soon they will be fighting over the nest boxes
A few things, I like @rosemarythyme am curious about the basket around the fake eggs

Also is there a way for them to get to the nesting box (aside from flying to it)? The picture doesn’t look like there’s another way.

Have they explored the nesting area at all?

I’m not sure what all breeds you have and I didn’t look to see where you live but some pullets take longer to start laying than others.
theyre always in the next Box exploring in they’re and just laying. They have no problem getting in they’re by flying. I’m in Arizona , not cold.

Back
Top Bottom