no eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wadeo, May 17, 2009.

1. wadeo

wadeo New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    im in sydney australia and were just going into winter at this point, ive had all my girls for about 2 months now the isa browns laid a few eggs the first two days i had them then i found heaps of feathers in there coop so i assumed they were doing their moult, but only last 2 or 3 days and i probaly got one or two eggs straight after that and then nothing for a long time, is it true that they need at least 14 hours of light to produce a egg?
    i read here that most people find a reduced number of eggs being laid in the winter but mine havent laid in weeks and we are just starting winter
    and help would be great
    cheers

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I can tell you that only some breeds lay all winter. I have an Easter Egger that stopped laying for 6 months. Danged bird! Also after a molt they sometimes take weeks to start laying again. Sounds like you have a double whammy there - winter and a molt!

3. wadeo

wadeo New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    haha yeah that would be right, ive also got two rhode island reds, and a leghorn and 2 aruacanas that should be laying at any time now but im wondering is it because of winter they arent laying or there just not old enough yet, they should be old enough according to all the information ive read

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by