No eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sudolph, Oct 18, 2007.

1. sudolph

sudolph Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2007
    Texas
    I'm not a newbie, but I'm not a vet, either.

Have 23 laying hens - brown and white leghorns, barred rocks, orpington mixes, bantums- 2 standard roosters, 3 bantum roosters ---1 egg per day from same failthful hen for over a month. All are between 2 years and 6 months old. Some I raised, some I bought full grown after dog attack. Free range over 3 acres.

Wormed in July, fed Diotomacious (sp?) earth 2 times in Aug. Combs red and everyone looks and acts happy. 1 annoying guinea who bullies everyone.

Some were laying during the hot summer in chicken coop nests, then slowly stopped. Found a dead chicken behind the nest boxes. Cleaned out the whole shootin' match, sprayed for mites, put nests in different place -- still only the faithful one egg. Some got blocked out of their nest in a feeder box when horse was penned up - been mad ever since - no eggs there anymore.

Bushhog broken down so lots of weeds on the place and most of these hens are new layers or new to the place, so they could be stealing their nests out. However, I don't get any more than the one egg even when I keep them cooped up for 2 days. This is breaking my heart.

What have I done to them? It's almost holiday time and I need the eggs.

Sudolph

2. sloper74

sloper74 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    My 50 some hens are going through similar issues. The ones older than 1 year are molting, everyone has stopped laying. I remember this time last year it was slim pickings for eggs as well. We're getting 4/day from 50 or so hens...pathetic. I'm trying artificial light in their coop and I put DE on their layer pellets in case they're worming. Also, added cat food to increase their protein during the molt (someone recommended on this board). I'm hoping that will help! Maybe you could try something similar.

3. sudolph

Feb 24, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks Sloper74. I'll try the cat food. It's good to hear that others have this, too, but I don't remember these issues at this time last year. We have had a lot more rain than usual, here, and maybe it has freaked out these Texas panhandle chickens. [​IMG]

4. sudolph

Feb 24, 2007
    Texas
    Me again.

They have not molted this year --- any of them, even the older ones. What's up with that?

sudolph

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by