1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bantieboy, Oct 30, 2009.

1. bantieboy

bantieboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    new oxford pa
    I have 30 25 week old RIR hens and im only getting one egg a day. Are they gonna start laying anytime soon? I bought them to sell eggs And its kinda hard if i get one egg every other day.[​IMG]

2. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    Just an idea here.......do your chickens free range? If they do, you may need to go on an egg hunt. I have 26 pullets that are 34 weeks now and for several weeks I was getting 5 eggs a day. I kept telling myself and DH that any day the rest would start to lay. Last Friday, our son sent me a text saying I missed some eggs that morning. He then sent me a pic of 16 eggs that had been laid in a seldom used horse feeder........I've since been finding them in an abandoned dog house, the wheelbarrow, behind a stack of wood in the barn, on a bale of straw.....I think you get the idea. I'm not saying yours are doing the same, but you may want to start hunting....LOL.
    Good luck!

3. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    My RIRs usually start to lay at between 23-28 weeks.

Are yours showing redder combs, face and wattles yet? That usually comes just before they go into lay.

4. bantieboy

Apr 21, 2009
    new oxford pa
    Yeah mine do free range i thought they were hiding them from me to but they arent. yeah some have really red combs and others are still pale ive been paying close attention to that to.

5. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Are they squatting yet?

6. bantieboy

Apr 21, 2009
    new oxford pa
    Im new to chickens i aint quite sure what that is.

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    RIR's lay once a month, so sounds about right.

[​IMG] JUST KIDDING!@!!!!

8. bantieboy

Apr 21, 2009
    new oxford pa
    Haha i knew that wasnt right cause i picked them when i heard and read they were one of the best layers

9. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Quote:Squatting? It's very distinctive. When you move towards her or wave your hand over her back, she'll suddenly freeze in a crouched down postion, wings slightly flared, legs slightly apart, head tucked little bit. She's bracing herself for a rooster to mount her and perform his business.

Here's someone else's picture, 'cuz I can't seem to catch mine "in the squat":
    http:[email protected]/3813512811/

They'll usually begin to squat a week or two before they start laying. OTOH, my EE has been squatting for over 2 weeks, and NO EGG YET. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by