No eggs

Farmer_Dan

Songster
9 Years
Apr 9, 2010
Seattle
I have a 10 month old girl that has yet to lay any eggs. I think she is an EE but I'm not sure, all I know is she doesn't like to give us eggs. Might she be a defective chicken that doesn't have any eggs or is she just slow to start?

Hi there!

I have one who has only ever laid 2 eggs in her life and both were little soft shelled icky things. We have had her for over a year and she was at least a year old when we got her. She simply doesnt lay.

I still have hope for yours that she is a slow starter.

Does she have access to Oyster Shell? Sometimes that helps.

I got her a couple days ago from someone who claims that she has never laid any eggs. I have not seen any yet, but will have to give her some time. Hopefully she starts laying soon or it may be the soup pot for her.
hide.gif

I have to echo some of the previous posters thoughts. If she is a she or a closet rooster, although unlikely you wouldn't be able to tell the difference @ 10 months of age and roosters are crowing long before that age. Also, her being an EE doesn't always mean greenish/blueish eggs. Being cross breeds, you never really know what is in one. Lots of EEs lay brown eggs. So the colored eggs are a crap shoot. You said you just got her. Maybe the previous owner doesn't know how old she really. Maybe she is much younger. The change of environment can "shock" a chicken and keep them from laying for a while. Good luck:D

Do you have her on layer feed? Are you providing free-choice oyster shell? Is she healthy? All are important.

That said: I have a 35 week old purebred Wheaten Ameraucana who has never laid an egg. I don't know if she ever will, but my Lil' Bit has a home on my farm regardless. Maybe this girl is a late bloomer.

She definately looks more hen-like than rooster like. No crowing. The previous owner claims he got her at the feed store as a chick 10 months ago.
IMG_0166.JPG

Also, she does the little hen thing where they flatten themselves against the ground when we go to pet her.

Have you fed her any layer mash? That should help get her producing. Got a nest box for her? How about, do you have a roo? One in the neighborhood?- simply to stimulate her, not fertilize any eggs.
wink.png

I heard that the hen does that squatting down as a sign of submission to you.put your hand on her back, then wiggle her tail!(kinda simulates "rooster love."
D.gif

Last edited:
she's on layer pellets, I could get some mash perhaps. No roo where she is, but perhaps we could relocate her to the roo coop to see if that helps. nest box, check, other girls near her laying eggs, check. Will have to add an oyster shell feeder for them though.

Back
Top Bottom