No eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mkearsley, Jul 21, 2010.

1. mkearsley

mkearsley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    South-west Idaho
    I bought a couple of hens from a hatchery a few months ago. After a couple of days, I started getting one egg from my new Polish hen. I still haven't found any eggs from the other hen. Any ideas? She doesn't seem to be molting, although I do find random white feathers everywhere, but it seems more like she's losing the feathers by preening, not molting. She's eating fine & acting like the other birds. Did I just get a non-laying hen? She doesn't crow or anything, so I'm pretty sure she's a hen. This is the first time I've had chickens or been around them, so I don't know what to look for to see if there's something wrong. Thanks for any advice.

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:How old are they? Did you get them as chicks? If so, you can reasonably expect them to start laying anywhere between 4 and 6 months. I wouldn't give up hope yet!

BTW: I've got a Silkie chicken who is a year old and hasn't laid an egg yet. That's not common. I haven't given up on her though!

Oh, and [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  3. mkearsley

mkearsley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    South-west Idaho
    I got the two hens as adults. The hatchery said they were all about 10 months old. I'm really not worried about not getting eggs - I have them more for bug control, weeds control & fertilizer, but if she might be having issues, I want to take care of it before it kills her. I guess I'll just keep looking, thanks [​IMG]

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Oh, I see. That's a horse of a different color then. I would suspect she's molting given her stated age. If she were eggbound, I don't think she would have lived this long in that condition. Good luck with her, I hope it works out for both of you.

5. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    My neighbor got hens, and one day while doing some overdue weeding, I found about 10-12 eggs. For some reason they came into my yard to lay - probably my nice tall weeds [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by