1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

No Eggs????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pam_n_jj, Aug 20, 2010.

1. pam_n_jj

pam_n_jj Hatching

Aug 17, 2010
    Albany, Ga
    I have 8 hens and one rooster and NO EGGS??????? I know at one time I would go out there when i got off work and there would be an egg so i would run in and cook supper, well when I would go out to get the egg later on NO EGG??? Someone had told me that the hen was eating the eggs? Why would they do this? I am getting frustrated because I am getting no eggs. HELP ME!!!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging 9 Years

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I'm afraid I've got a lot of homework for you, now that school is starting back up. These links may help you since you might see something in them that explains it for you.

Virginia Tech – Stopped Laying
    http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/2902/2902-1097/2902-1097.pdf

Florida – Stopped Laying –
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/ps/ps02900.pdf

Missing eggs thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=190121

My first thought in these cases is that they are hiding a nest on you, but since you see the egg and then it disappears, that is not the case. Second is that something is taking or eating the eggs, maybe the chickens themselves or possibly a snake, rats, possom, skunk, dog, something like that. Is a human stealing the eggs? It is not always easy to determine what it is. Good luck!

3. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Quote:Well I know that if you had a egg eater you would see yolk on the nesting matieral. How old is your flock??

4. chickchickgirls

chickchickgirls In the Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    I kept missing eggs too and couldn't figure it out. We had a cute little urban coop, about 2.5' off the ground. The ramp always fell but the hens liked to jump/fly into it to lay their eggs. It was a mini barn shape (about 2x3 with a little door) and two laying boxes off the side. One day while at the kitchen sink, I saw a flash of black and white at the coop door. I thought a skunk had jumped up into it, but about 5 seconds later, my 55 lb border collie turned himself around and jumped out with an egg in his mouth! I was shocked! I still have no idea how he could fit through the door, much less get an egg and turn himself around in the little space! When we expanded our coop, we had to put latches on the lids of the nesting boxes because he would push them open with his nose, stand on his hind legs, and help himself to egg treats! If you have a dog, that would be my first guess. Good luck!

5. balticbabe

balticbabe Songster

Apr 3, 2008
    King County, WA
    Thank you for the links Ridgerunner. Haven't got an egg in a week. Now I have things I can check. Hope they're just molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: