No eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gamecock, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Gamecock

Gamecock Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2009
    Columbia Northeast SC
    Ever since Boo ( my EE) passed away, Dixie (EE) has not layed an egg, is this norma?. Will she start laying at some point

2. dweder

dweder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    Do you only have the one hen left? Stress definately affects their laying routine. Any kind of change can upset their laying. Chickens are also very social, so being alone could definately be the reason she has stopped.

3. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Sorry for your loss. It hurts.

dweder asked the right question. If you are down to one chicken, it is possible the loss of a
    like mate has affected Dixie.

A long time ago a veterinarian told me it is never wise to have only "one" of any creature. They need
    someone like them to relate to.

I truly believe chickens need other chickens to be able to function properly. Also, if Boo and Dixie were friends, then Dixie
    feels the loss of her buddy.

Give her time and if possible get a couple more chickens.

Geri

4. MrsPinkKitty

MrsPinkKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    poor baby....she needs a friend....Hatch some out heheh

5. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    I live in Columbia too and my EE is not laying...all my others are. She seems totally healthy...runs about foraging, roosting, red comb. I think they may just stop in winter.

6. Gamecock

Gamecock Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2009
    Columbia Northeast SC
    Before Boo passed, I had 6 laying hens and 2 roosters. She is not alone. The other 4 are laying everyday. 2 dominiques.a.road island red and a comet/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by