No eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mark, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Mark

Mark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    North Central Texas
    I'll skip the setup story. It is too confusing.

Anyway, one of our chickens has gotten 'broody' (I guess). We let our chickens free range. For the last month and a half, she has headed off into the bushes to lay eggs.

About 3 weeks ago, we found her nest and about 15 eggs. We don't have a rooster, so none were fertile.

We tossed the eggs and expected her to go back to laying in the chicken tractor, where she used to lay.

There are now a bunch of 4 month old pullets roaming around, and poking around inside the tractor from time to time. We are not sure this is an issue, but instead of going back to laying in the tractor, she disappeared into the brush, again.

We just found her a couple of days ago, with another 15 eggs.

Now, we have her penned in a second tractor and we haven't let her out for 2 days. She has not been shy about telling us how unfair this treatment strikes her.

We are getting worried, though. She hasn't laid any eggs since being locked in the tractor.

Do we need to let her out, or will she eventually get back to laying? DW and I are worried she will get blocked up or something.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  2. Mark

May 13, 2007
    North Central Texas
    We could only put up with her begging to be let out for 2 days. Today, she returned to the flock Still no eggs. So far, she hasn't disappeared into the bushes.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    When they get broody, the will lay a clutch of eggs and stop laying. They don't continue to lay while they set.

The longer they set, the longer it will take for her to start laying again. She is going through a phase. She will start laying again in a week or two.

Just make sure you didn't let her out of the tractor too soon as she will try to go back to her nest.

4. Mark

May 13, 2007
    North Central Texas
    It's been two weeks, and Sophie has stayed in the flock. No eggs, though.

5. Mark

May 13, 2007
    North Central Texas
    Yesterday, we discovered 3 eggs in one of the nest boxes we have scattered about. Since Sophie is the only chicken old enough to lay, and Sophie continues to hang-out with the flock, we figure the 'broody' phase is over and we can go back to checking for eggs in the nest.

This theory held true, today. Right on schedule, there was another egg in the nest box.

6. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Beware if she went through it once, she'll go through it again, but you guys are obviously observant so you'll catch it I am sure, although by the nextime you'll have more girls laying.
    Just curious, do you not want a roo or can you not have one?

7. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Yaay, eggs again. Hopefully she won't go broody again. I currently have a broody game hen, no roosters, so I might try slipping some chicks in the nest next time she gets up for a bite to eat. Its worked in the past with a different hen, just leave a cracked egg shell in there and some babies and they think the eggs hatched.

8. Mark

May 13, 2007
    North Central Texas
    Quote:We could get a roo, but have not wanted the extra noise.

BTW, we have two of the 5 1/2 month old hens laying. No idea which ones. They are really sneaky about getting into the nest without anyone seeing them. All are laying in the same box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by