No eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by So cal chickens, Apr 20, 2012.

1. So cal chickens

So cal chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    last year i got 5 new hens to add to my only three hen flock. I raised my three new hens on purina start and grow and then to layena at 20 wks. All my new hens started laying.I only got two amerucanas and one lays very well but the other one has never layed a single egg i know this because i only have 9 hens total in my flock(easy to monoter) and i have seen my amerucana who does lay eggs actualy lay an egg every day.The stange non laying hen goes in the nestbox everyday but doesn't lay anything. I feed oyster mixed with purina layer pellets and they always have fresh water. also they get kitchen scraps.I am just wondering if my hen thinks its a boy.

PS I know its not a rooster because it does not crow and is not dominate over the other hens. pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz heeeeellllllllllllllllllllpppppppppp??????????????????????????????????????

2. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Are you sure she's not eggbound? Like the eggs are stuck inside of her? Does she look puffy and keep going into the nesting box with no results?
    If it's a possibility, (and you may be able to feel the eggs in there) you can try giving her a bath in warm water for like a half hour and see if she passes an egg.

3. So cal chickens

Apr 15, 2012
    maybeee??? do you submerge there bodies

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    How old is the hen in question?

5. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Some chickens are just late to start. My Australorp still wasn't laying much after everyone else, then she went into a molt. I'm sure once this molt is over she'll figure things out. Maybe give her another month. If she's close to 20 weeks it's not so uncommon.

6. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    You just have to let their bottom half soak, or if they won't sit still for it, you can set them under a heat lamp for a bit. That's what I read on the posts here!

7. So cal chickens

Apr 15, 2012
    the hen is 1 yr

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by